Hosted by Darren Baker
LAVs
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 03:22 AM UTC
as someone who has just come back to modelling i have a couple of pleas for help. I´m thinking of building a USMC LAV, I've got a fair amount of photos from GW2, however where do you start, the little I remember is that the italeiri LAV needs a major rebuild, amy sources out there for bits and plans?

Secondly, is the US military using the MAN 5t truck or is it simply my over active imagination? Any good sources for modern US softskins? Thanx, Jim
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 03:28 AM UTC
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?set_albumName=albun63&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

The above link is your best bet, and it's right here on this site thanks to Sabot. Though it doesn't have the LAV-25 you're looking for it has lots of other stuff.
I'd be intersted in hearing what the Italeri will take as well. AEF designs just came out with a bunch of stuff for GW2 vehicles, inclusing the LAV-25.

Nate
Wisc. USA
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 03:28 AM UTC
BTW: Welcome to the site

Nate
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 459 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 03:31 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Jim!!! I don't know which version of the LAV-25 you are going to try your hand at, but here is an article about the LAV-25 AD and how to improve it. At the bottom of the page is a list of references that may help you out.

http://www.kithobbyist.com/AFVInteriors/fullmetal/lav/lavadart.html
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 04:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Secondly, is the US military using the MAN 5t truck or is it simply my over active imagination? Any good sources for modern US softskins? Thanx, Jim

Our new Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles or FMTV come in 2½ and 5 ton chassises and at first glance look like the MAN trucks (cabover design). The FMTVs are replacing the Army's M35 2½ ton trucks and the 900-series 5 ton trucks. Easy way to tell an FMTV 2½ ton from an FMTV 5 ton is the 2½ ton has one rear axle and the 5 ton has dual rear axles. Here are some photos of the FMTV. I've got two 2½ tons, one 5 ton with material handling equipment (MHE or fancy word for a crane), and one of the new 5 ton wrecker variants.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 06:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Secondly, is the US military using the MAN 5t truck or is it simply my over active imagination? Any good sources for modern US softskins

During my time in the Air Force, this wasn't unusual. Though I served in Japan, I'm sure the SOFA (Status Of Forces Agreement) was similar elsewhere abroad. Part of SOFA was purchasing & using local vehicles and equipment - and as a Security Policeman it wasn't unsusal to drive around in Nissan, Toyota, or Mitsubishi heavy trucks on patrol (sometimes we called them 'turtles'). We had them in addition to CUCV's. When HMMWV's began replacing our trucks in '88/'89 - we still had the local-produced vehicles too.

I've been researching and working on the BGM-109 Gryphon GLCM (Ground Launched Cruise Missile) the USAF deployed in Germany to build in miniature. I even have the TM for the 10-ton Tractor used by the European deployed squadrons - and it is a MAN 10-ton Tractor for all intents and purposes.

Gunnie
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 08:04 AM UTC
Welcome to the site Jim

Everyone here is very helpful and share all the best tips. I can't wait to see the Lav when you finally get it built!

HastyP
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 11:24 PM UTC
Thanx to all of you for the references and links. Jim
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 08:25 AM UTC
In the crestline series "Modern US Military Vehicles" it states that the US has not only aquired some foreign vehicles for its own use, ie the Czech Tatras Model 813 Kolos from the former E. Germany, but that MAN had built a series of trucks to haul the Pershing missile around Europe (the XM10001) and a associated wrecker (XM10002).
The current series of Oshkosh trucks use some components of MAN. I suppose it is logical to assume some Heavy trucks were bought for use by USAEUR, but you may want to ask MAN or someone from the maintenance section from Graffenwahr of Hoenfelds. (SP?)
bergstiger
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 03:49 PM UTC
For Maj.Rob.Let start by saying it is great to have such a great online source of infomation.Thank you
In regards this this new line of medum trucks?TheFMTV? Who biulds them?Is the power train from the US or what. In regrds to there aglity and cross country performance, how do they compare to the all american trucks that they are replacing?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2003 - 02:39 AM UTC
Stewart & Stevens out of Sealy, Texas makes them in 12 different body styles. I believe the entire truck is US products. I've got four trucks in three different body styles (I have two of the 2½ ton variants). The other two are the 5 ton wrecker and the 5 ton cargo with MHE.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2003 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the little I remember is that the italeiri LAV needs a major rebuild, amy sources out there for bits and plans?

Jim,

I had great fun with the Italeri LAV-AT. Added a little PE and TAC Scale (now CAM) tires and Verlinded crew. IMHO, the Italeri LAVs are great and visually correct. The ESCI LAVs are the ones that need to be corrected. IIRC. I have the LAV-M in the queue to be built one of these days, and I'll add some extras (PE, tires and a DS1 update) to that as well. Got it all lined up, just need the time to tackle it.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2003 - 10:50 PM UTC
Thanks kevin, I can get my hands on any quantity of Italeri LAvs, am I correct in saying that the Revell (Germany) kits are the Esci kits repackaged? Jim.
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 501 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 06:59 AM UTC
From what I've been told they are the Italiari kits.
 _GOTOTOP