Scratchbuilding palms
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 759 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:01 PM UTC
Hey guys,

I'm building a WWII Pacific dio, so naturally, I need a lot of palm trees. I've built the trunks, but when it comes to leaves, I don't know what to do. I've seen the two articles here on Armorama and they are quite good, but I would like to use readily availible houshold materials (if possible). I've tried using aluminum foil and it is too floppy.

Any ideas are welcome.

Samuel
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:14 PM UTC
Household items - try the foil lids to yogurt cups, or coffee cans (some are better some are worse). How about the foil from wine bottles. Some toothpaste tubes are foil(like), use them, clean them, cut them open.
For the trunks use small chop sticks covered in tissue with thread/string wrapped under the tissue as texture. Or use pencils

This feature is a bit older, not sure if youve seen it
Foliage
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:43 PM UTC
Hi Sam,

I've been watching your various threads with interest, I think I can recall the Pacific diorama you're talking about, is it that one on Tarawa, machine-gun post etc.?

Anyway, did you read my two articles? I find that natural products (ferns and leaves) work best for me. But if that's not an option for you, you can still do some awesome stuff with aluminium foil.

Here are a bunch of links in addition to Scott's:

This one is by far the best result I've seen using the foil method: CK Tang's Method

A popular article by Eric Sikkema: Silk Leaves

Here is my effort using natural leaves found on Ficus Benjamina plants: My Effort

A method by Santiago Tre which inspired me: Santiago's Method

And finally one of my feature articles: Making Small Palms pt. 2

Hope this helps you, and I can't wait to see the dio,

Chas

sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 759 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:29 PM UTC
Thanks for the wealth of information, guys!

Quoted Text

I've been watching your various threads with interest, I think I can recall the Pacific diorama you're talking about, is it that one on Tarawa, machine-gun post etc.?

I haven't started on the dio yet, so I don't think you've seen it. However, I hope it meets your expectations when finished, as you seem to be an expert on Pacific dios.

Thanks again for all the help

Samuel
 _GOTOTOP