Studs in u.s service
amerks
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 01:44 AM UTC
Am about to build the ICM Studebaker truck,can anyone tell me were these
trucks used in tunisia by the u.s army . If so are there any sites with pictures of these vehicles in use at that time.

many thanks in advance
Gill-oh-no
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 02:16 AM UTC
I don't think the US brought 6x6 Studs in Tunisia or later for direct combat use.
They maybe used 6x4 in Line of Communication duties in ETO.
HTH
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 03:07 AM UTC
Most US Studebakers went to the Army Air Corps for support duties. The regular Army preferred the GMC CCKW.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 04:25 AM UTC
Tunisia, might be considered a little early, however, in the last few days i've been watching documentary footage from here:

http://www.realmilitaryflix.com/public/department55.cfm

- not definitive, but i've seen a HELL of a lot of Studebakers in the ETO...
SHERMAN2
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 09:21 AM UTC
Tunisia is unlikely unless the Brits brought them. But like the say "never say never".

Studebaker built 193,659 and Reo built 22,204 trucks between 41 to 45. Majority of the trucks went to lend lease. Russia received over 100,000. The Brits got a bunch and a few other allies like the Chinese.
If you see a picture of one missing the right headlamp it was built for the Brits that way.

US6x4 were all 2/1/2 to 5 ton rated trucks. Semi tractor without winch and LWB cargo trucks with or without winch. Body codes U6, U7 and U8 built 42 -45.

US used large number them In Iran transporting supplies to Russia. Many of the open top Studes served there as well. Although the Russians received a number of open top Studes but they prefered the closed cabs. Russia and US are the only documented users of the open cab version.
The building of the Al-Can Highway.
Home defence.
Burma-China
Pacific theater with Navy and Marines along with the 36,000 + Internationals
Army air corp in Enland and other support units. They were used as replacement trucks if GMCs were not available. Some may have been transfered from the Brits inventory. Most likely used in the Red Ball Express operations. They could have shown up most anyplace. Article didn't go into many details of service.

My source: Army Motors 96-97 "The Studebaker US6, America's Other 2/12 Ton truck" by Clell G. Ballard. Real good 6 part article on the US6 from developement to post war. A few rare Rssian photos. Tons of info on the truck and its variants and one part Russian use, but light on specific unit service.

I cut the 6 part article out and tossed the mags last winter. Scanned and Photoshopped it into a nice little 37 page reference. Condensed it with the elimination of adds and other articles. Cleaned it up and added a couple pics. Nice practice in photoshop but can't do anything with it because of copy rights.

Model I'm finishing up is from a pic of a truck with the 100 BG England 1944. A bit of a conversion with steel box. Just can't build anything out of the box I guess.

Click on picture:

Joe
 _GOTOTOP