Hosted by Darren Baker
Colour For Sherman Sandbag Armour.
theduke2sg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 06:19 AM UTC
Hello fellas. I know this question is kinda dumb. But does anyone knows the colour of the sandbags for the Sherman Sandbag Armour in ETO? I am thinking of using the same OD with different shade as the tank itself. Is it ok? Thanks.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 06:30 AM UTC
The sandbags could be overpainted with OD - inevitably, with the material used, they would fade and blotch - so yes, using a series of different shades of OD, would be absolutely correct.

In the case of unpainted sandbags - any variation from faded tan right up to brown or sand color would be appropriate...
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 05:30 PM UTC
Gday Calvin
Jim has basically outlined what you need to know. So long as you know the specifics to do with your tank (ie. 14AD. At least one TB used the full racks on both turret and hull in fighting in and around Germany. This was oversprayed with OD and black bands and sometimes a brown) Earlier versions from Normandy were nowhere near as organised and were thrown on the glacis plate only and were not painted, therefore the natural colour of the sacks/bags. ie. light brown tan etc. To save my breath, could you let us in on the specifics of your build?
Cheers
Brad
theduke2sg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 07:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gday Calvin
Jim has basically outlined what you need to know. So long as you know the specifics to do with your tank (ie. 14AD. At least one TB used the full racks on both turret and hull in fighting in and around Germany. This was oversprayed with OD and black bands and sometimes a brown) Earlier versions from Normandy were nowhere near as organised and were thrown on the glacis plate only and were not painted, therefore the natural colour of the sacks/bags. ie. light brown tan etc. To save my breath, could you let us in on the specifics of your build?
Cheers
Brad

Hi Brad. I have used the Gasoline Soft Armour Sandbags on a Tamiya M4 Sherman. it goes round the front and sides of the hull.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 07:47 PM UTC
Hey Calvin
With the amount of sandbags in this set, I'd go a natural colour. Throw in the odd off-coloured one for variety, and I think you'll have a good contrast with the Olive Drab.
One thing I noticed with the sandbags though, is that they are piled too high on the glacis, so much so that neither the the driver or radio operator can use their fixed or rotating periscopes! Up to you if you want to remedy this, but this is a major oversight on behalf of Gaso-line..
Brad
theduke2sg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 04:01 PM UTC
Darn! I have over looked on that part too...anyway, I had already done the base coat. Will be adding some sanddy highlights and the some colour variations with Tan. Thanks for the tips guys. Will pot it up here when the model is done.
theduke2sg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 03:09 PM UTC
Hi all. Is this ok?

_GOTOTOP