_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
REVIEW
King Tiger Henschel w/Zimmerit
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 01:58 PM UTC
Scott Espin (Spiff) presents an in-depth review of the King Tiger Henschel w/Zimmerit by Dragon Models.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 02:21 PM UTC
Very nice, clear and informative review, Scott. You just talked me into getting one of these pre-zim kits, thanks for writing this up
Spiff
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 807 posts
Armorama: 671 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 02:24 AM UTC
Thanks James. It really is a nice kit. Stay tuned for two more pre-zimmed kit reviews.
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,229 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 11:58 AM UTC
This kit also has found it's way into my stash, and it is one of my many many Tiger-Bs, and it just never ceases to amaze me that DML, when releasing a new kit of a subject they already have in their range, don't stop at adding the new feature, in this case the molded on Zimmerit, but also improve the kit in other areas, add more features like the revised PE, alu barrel and such, while keeping the price identical (par the general increase over the whole line last year).

This Tiger-B again ins't just an update on a single feature, it is an improvement over the previous ones.

Which bodes well for the Tiger-E and Panther-D with Zimmerit, as well as the Stug-III.
Spiff
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 12:53 PM UTC
I have the StuH 42 Ausf. G with premolded waffle zimmerit and the Panther D with premolded zimmerit in my stash (got them both last week) and they are very nice kits. I am working on in-box reviews of them at the moment and hope to have them posted very soon. Dragon definately does very well with German armor with a lot of "bang for the buck"!
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 07:23 AM UTC
(said it my best Stewie imitation): Damn you, I went and ordered that sucker today!

Repeat after me: I will NOT buy any more model kits unitl I finish the ones I'm working on, I will NOT buy any more model kits unitl I finish the ones I'm working on, I will NOT buy any more model kits unitl I finish the ones I'm working on, I will NOT buy any more model kits unitl I finish the ones I'm working on, I will NOT buy any more model kits unitl I finish the ones I'm working on, I will NOT buy any more model kits unitl I finish the ones I'm working on, I will NOT buy any more model kits unitl I finish the ones I'm working on, I will NOT buy any more model kits unitl I finish the ones I'm working on, I will NOT buy any more model kits unitl I finish the ones I'm working on....
Spiff
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

(said it my best Stewie imitation): Damn you, I went and ordered that sucker today!

Repeat after me: I will NOT buy any more model kits unitl I finish the ones I'm working on, I will NOT buy any more model kits unitl I finish the ones I'm working on, I will NOT buy any more model kits unitl I finish the ones I'm working on, I will NOT buy any more model kits unitl I finish the ones I'm working on, I will NOT buy any more model kits unitl I finish the ones I'm working on, I will NOT buy any more model kits unitl I finish the ones I'm working on, I will NOT buy any more model kits unitl I finish the ones I'm working on, I will NOT buy any more model kits unitl I finish the ones I'm working on, I will NOT buy any more model kits unitl I finish the ones I'm working on....

I've had that same conversation with myself many times!

p.s. Family Guy is an awesome show!
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 02:09 PM UTC
WOW, im going to get one too. I really liked the whitewashed one that was Hungary. I just wonder what the basecoat under the white should be?
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,229 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

WOW, im going to get one too. I really liked the whitewashed one that was Hungary. I just wonder what the basecoat under the white should be?

Simple, 3-tone camo scheme. The winter wash was applied over the camo, painted, brushed on with brooms, or simply poured over the tank.
m0rfar
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:44 PM UTC
I've more or less finished this kit now (started painting it yesterday) and it was a marvel to build. Almost everything fit really nicely and even fitting the bottom hull to the top hull was pretty simple. Some issues I had:
- Fitting the mudguards/fenders/protection above the tracks (is that the correct word?) on the zimmerit wasn't very easy, it was hard for the glue to stick. Possibly one should've sanded off most of the zimmerit first, but I was too lazy for that.
- Also, the above mudguards/whatever should be fit temporarily while painting if you plan on adding the tracks after painting the camo, it is really difficult to squeeze in the tracks with the mudguards in place. Trust me.
- On the lower front plate I had to sand off the zimmerit near the edges to be able to squeeze it in between the lower hull and the fittings for the drive wheel.
- I can't find any reference in the plans to the piece that looks like it should be situated above the left hole (gun sight I presume).

Also, being a newbie with superdetailing, I would like someone to describe to me how to fit the metal towing rings? I can't find anything about that either, so I presume it's something I'm supposed to know...

However, in summary: Excellent kit!
whittman181
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 646 posts
Armorama: 473 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 07:19 PM UTC
I think you did a great job on the review I'm looking forward to the other two reviews on the molded on zimm.. , Thanks Bob
Asmenoth
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 274 posts
Armorama: 173 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 08:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Also, being a newbie with superdetailing, I would like someone to describe to me how to fit the metal towing rings? I can't find anything about that either, so I presume it's something I'm supposed to know...

The metal towing rings should have pins to hold them on. The other kits that have them, come with metal pins to shove through the holes to hold them on. Maybe they changed this to plastic pins...look on the sprues for them.

I do like the color instructions though. I wish they would either do this on all their kits or call out paint codes like other companies. I have quite a few reference guides, but most are in black and white and don't always tell you what color some parts are.

m0rfar
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:45 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply! I've been staring at the sprues four times now to try and find something resembling pins, but to no avail, so I'm using the plastic rings for the time being. If anyone builds this and has a solution, please inform me!

I thought the colored building instructions were great at the start, but soon found out that it's easy to miss out on things with them. Also I don't like DMLs habit of including 4 variations of things without telling which variation should be used for which type of vehicle. Thankfully there were less variants in this kit compared to the Panther G I built a while ago. Tamiya rules the building instructions department still in my opinion.
Christian23
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 06:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've more or less finished this kit now (started painting it yesterday) and it was a marvel to build. Almost everything fit really nicely and even fitting the bottom hull to the top hull was pretty simple. Some issues I had:
- Fitting the mudguards/fenders/protection above the tracks (is that the correct word?) on the zimmerit wasn't very easy, it was hard for the glue to stick. Possibly one should've sanded off most of the zimmerit first, but I was too lazy for that.
- Also, the above mudguards/whatever should be fit temporarily while painting if you plan on adding the tracks after painting the camo, it is really difficult to squeeze in the tracks with the mudguards in place. Trust me.
- On the lower front plate I had to sand off the zimmerit near the edges to be able to squeeze it in between the lower hull and the fittings for the drive wheel.
- I can't find any reference in the plans to the piece that looks like it should be situated above the left hole (gun sight I presume).

Hi, I'm new here and happened upon your thread. Sorry to barge in on you guys but was just meaning to ask if you think part#8 from sprue O is shown as installed upside down in the instructions? I've been looking at several photos of the top front turret glacis of KTs (including the one at bovington) and I think that this part is shown installed upside down or is it a part that you can install both ways (like for early or late models of KTs). I hope you guys could shed more light on this for me. Research material in printed form is kinda short here where I am in the world, it's a good thing that the internet finally came along...thanks so much in advance and more power to you guys!
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 08:14 PM UTC
Hans as this is an old thread it may pay to ask the question in a thread of its own, and/or provide a picture of the specific segment of the instructions you are asking about. I hope you get your answer.
Spiff
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 03:31 AM UTC
I'll take a look at the kit and instructions tonight when I get home from work.

I always subscribe to the discussion threads for all the reviews I do so I can answer questions and help those looking for more info on something I've reviewed.
Christian23
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 01:53 PM UTC
Thank you, sir.
Christian23
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 01:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hans as this is an old thread it may pay to ask the question in a thread of its own, and/or provide a picture of the specific segment of the instructions you are asking about. I hope you get your answer.

I think I'll do just that, sir. Thank you for the advice, more power!
 _GOTOTOP