_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Softskins
Softskins group discussions.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Armored Humvee Again -- which conversion?
akula88
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 03:04 AM UTC
I'm planning to do this within the year. I've been reading on a few resin conversions of the Humvee, but I haven't found this particular type of armored humvee. I'm interested on the grill and door conversions. Any heads up? Thanks.

Edit to add : this is a Philippine Army Humvee from the Light Armor Division
CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 517 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 04:42 AM UTC
I think this is a licensed made humvee produced in some other country.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 06:41 AM UTC
It isn't a US military version. Looks like either another country's version or a civilian vehicle mocked-up to look like an up-armored HMMWV. It looks like it has a civilian license plate on the front.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 07:26 AM UTC
A few observations:

While in the Philippines in '04 for OEF(P) I saw several Jeepneys (anyone who's been there knows what I'm talking about) which were heavily modified, and had reduced scale HMMWV bodies attached to thier chassis. From a block away they looked like real HMMWV's.
This is not one of those. Look at the suspension. Not from a Jeepney. The wheels-HMMWV. The tires-older HMMWV.

Given the original poster's location, and my own observations of Philippine camouflage, I would say that this is a modified (pimped out) HMMWV, similar to the ones you see in the states used for US Army recruiting.

So, Johnny-
Care to enlighten us? Where did you obtain the pic?

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 08:01 AM UTC
The Phillipines Marines has their own home-grown version of the HMMWV, the Marine Multi-Purpose Vehicle (MMPV). This may be one of them. It looks to have an actual HMMWV suspension and wheels though, so maybe not.

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 08:42 AM UTC
IIRC The Philippines MMPV is based on a Mitsubishi Pajero 4x4 chassis. One can notice the same stenciled warning on both vehicles "For official use only"

Frenchy
akula88
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 01:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm planning to do this within the year. I've been reading on a few resin conversions of the Humvee, but I haven't found this particular type of armored humvee. I'm interested on the grill and door conversions. Any heads up? Thanks.

Oh, So sorry for not having described the image on my initial post.

This unit is from Philippine Army's Light Armor Division. I presumed that this unit was an FMS acquisition from the US. Phil Army has a number of Humvees in service, mostly as troop transports variants and had been modified through the years. I was assuming that the front grills and hood, as well as the up-armored doors were official US variants (M1025/1026)... Please see the image below. Please enlighten me in this area.

Edited to add :
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m1025.htm

photo from GlobalSecurity.Org

MMPV is the Marine Multi-Purpose Vehicle which is a local adaptation of the Humvee design, and differs in all aspect, except in a glance. A local Army brigade also had a similar adaptation to the humvee.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 03:25 PM UTC
Nope, that must be a Philippines specific up-armor package. The US version is the M1114 and M1151/2 which are basically the Mig up-armor set with a few more pieces for the M1151. The above pic could also be a prototype up-armor kit that was not selected by the US Military as well. Many companies vied for the contract for the up-armored HMMWVs.

Mig US M1114 set:

_GOTOTOP