_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Where in Israel are armor/military museums?
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 05:02 AM UTC

Hi,

Can anyone tell me exactly where in Israel are any military museums or displays? For example, the outdoor armor display that I have seen in some of the Verlinden books.

Or, if anyone knows any places in Sinai or Golan where one can see remnants of the various wars.

Or any other sites of interest where the adventurous traveller may wish to visit. #:-)

Thanks!
Steve
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 614 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 08:45 AM UTC
I visited the IDF armour museum in 1996. I believe the location was at Latrun (?) just off the highway between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv. I expended 20 rolls of film and about six hours there. Very definitive location for IDF armour. they even have a collection of 1:35 armour.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 02:13 PM UTC
Ok , get pen and paper ready.

1) Latrun the Armour corps Museum and Memorial is at Latrun interchange. A bus can be taken from the Jerusalem Bus terminal.
2) The collection houses in Yafo, this is where captured and used weapons are stored in relatively good shape including one of the few M31 ARVs. It is located in Yafo a interior suburb of TelAviv. easiest way is catch a cab. I believe they are closed fridays.
3) Beit Hatotchan (house of the artilleryman) is located in zichron Yaakov north of TelAviv. Relativly new but interesting(pics on my webshots page)includes a IDF Paladin testbed.
4)Golani Museum self explanitory is located at Golani interchange in the Galil.
5) Hatzeirim AFB located in Be'er Sheva.. houses the air force museum. Primarily flying thingies but also includes anti aircraft Items as this is under Air force control be'er sheva is located about two hours south of Tel Aviv . you can take a bus there from either Jerusalem or Tel aviv.

the web sites with phone numbers and hours are on my website. If you have any problems any Egged tourist center(national bus line) can help you. Latrun, the collection house and beit hatotchan are all close to Tel Aviv Golani is about an hours drive maybe 1.5 from Tel Aviv. Most Israelis speak fluent English so getting directions isnt all that hard.

Josh Weingarten aka shiryon
web site www.homestead.com/shiryon/index.html
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 02:50 PM UTC

Thanks Paul and Josh!

Josh, some great info and I hope I can find time to do some of those things!

Steve
 _GOTOTOP