_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Water Effects
Water! A sometimes intimidating effect.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Preparing diorama surfaces for Resin? How?
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 07:30 PM UTC
G'day everyone,

I am making a diorama at the moment which involves having a few muddy puddles. I am about to make them using Resin.

I'm using a product called Spakfilla, a type of wall plaster/filler as the groundwork base. As a preliminary test, I poured some water onto the base, but it was absorbed by the Spakfilla (which is a little porous). How should I prepare the base for these Resin puddles, i.e. what product/s should I use to seal the base before adding puddles? I don't want the resin to be absorbed into the groundwork and lost.

Look forward to some help.

Chas
cyberdemon
Visit this Community
Kronoberg, Sweden
KitMaker: 105 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 08:15 PM UTC
Maybe, you could use some Varnish before pouring on the resin, Warhammer (Citadel) Clear or Matt Varnish might do the job...
try on a small piece to see the result, I think it will stop the resin to be absorbed into the groundwork...
/Thomas
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 08:18 PM UTC
Hey Chas
I use a product from Bunnings called Agnews putty for groundwork, and once shaped and painted, it took deep puddles for me no worries. I haven't used spakfilla for a groundwork, but I heed your concerns with it, although water would most likely react differently than the 2 part resin. Are you going to tint the resin prior to pouring, or have it shallow enough to have the painted bottom show through?
Cheers
Brad
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 09:48 PM UTC
Thanks both,

Would you think Future (Pledge here in Australia) would stop the Resin leaking through?

Brad, I'm pre-tinting the resin with tamiya acrylic. These puddles are going to be really muddy.

Chas
cyberdemon
Visit this Community
Kronoberg, Sweden
KitMaker: 105 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:14 PM UTC
i´ve had similar problems a couple of times myself, using Woodlands water, after a few days the pond/stream would shrink and finally disappear.

regards
Thomas
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Armorama: 777 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 05:01 AM UTC
what kind of resin will you use? if it's epoxy or polyester the stuff is pretty sticky and thick and won't be absorbed by polyfilla kind of plaster.
No for Future being as strong as it could be used as a "resinproof" filler. A good coat of wood varnish should work way better.

Quoted Text

using Woodlands water, after a few days the pond/stream would shrink and finally disappear.

i am very surprised you get this Thomas! you mean that the "water" was aborbed by the plaster? The Woodland water does shrink a lot while drying anyway:)
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 12:54 PM UTC
Thanks jba,

I'm using epoxy so I guess it should go on without a problem. I'll post pictures to let you know how it turned out.

Thanks everyone,

Chas
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 07:29 AM UTC
white glue is great for sealing pourous things you want to put resin on.

when i worked in a surfboard factory, we used white glue on polyeurathane foam to seal it when the customer wanted epoxy resin fiberglass instead of polyeurathane resin fiberglass work (epoxy dissolves polyeurathane foam if it isn't sealed!).

It is also used to seal styrofoam from polyeurathane resin (which again will cause a chemical reaction if it isn't properly sealed)

If it can protect foam from resin, i suspect it will work in your less demanding case too
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 11:47 PM UTC
Hi All,

Ok, here is how the first pour turned out. I still have to do a second pour to deepen the puddles and add some shallower puddles around the place. I will also give the rest of the dirt a gloss coat to indicate it is wet, at the moment the contrast between wet ground and dry ground is to stark.

Chas Young
HornetNest
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 03:38 AM UTC
I like the dirt alot very convincing. I can understand your water problem, a pond I poured was ruined. In an attempt to repair it I am using latex caulk as a sealer but not sure what the outcome will be yet.
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 03:11 PM UTC
Here are the final results. All in all, everything turned out very well. Sorry about the pic quality, I don't have the weather on my side today.

Chas
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 01:15 PM UTC
Ok new question. What dissolves resin? Is there a chemical I can use for clean-up?

Thanks,
Chas
 _GOTOTOP