Hosted by Darren Baker
Verlinden products
jakal72
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 08:05 AM UTC
I've recently purchased Verlinden's Euro house and it came in broken pieces which I had to put back together which wasnt hard .I was more disapointed on why it was damaged so much.I put to together and the results were great and the cracks make it look more realistic.
Now for the finishing touches the paint and the wheathering.

Whats the best way to keep a diarama kit from being damaged during shipping?
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:32 PM UTC
I would say it all has to do with how it is packed. If it is put in a box without much packing, it is going to slide around and break up. If it is packed well so that it cant move it will limit the damage done to it. For some things that a extreamely fragile, packing will sometimes not keep it from bracking.
Dmd
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 430 posts
Armorama: 210 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 08:49 PM UTC
hi

i also have 2 plaster bildings from verlinden and i bought them in a local store and my experience was always the same : broken parts, it's common and i've seen in wath condition packages travelles around europe so im not suprised.

what could help is sign on the box: Fragile and stuff it with that plastic who got bubbles don't know how you call it

my tirth tip !!! buy Resin or plastic

with kind regards

dmd
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 11:03 PM UTC
I just scratchbuilt a brick wall for my SPLASH diorama : scribling the separate bricks from a slab of freshly cast plaster. It broke five times while I was working on it, and each time I glued it with CA glue. I thought all five cracks were invisible, but now I made a copy (silicone mold with plaster casting) I discovered one of the cracks is still very much visible. It only adds more reality to the wall.

As for the OOB bought plaster houses: there's a big quality difference depending on the kind of plaster they were cast with. Cheap plaster breaks easily. Some models work with "dentist" plaster, which is a lot more solid, shows tremendous detail (as good as resin) but is a lot more expensive. I just received a plaster diorama kit from Monroe Perdu in the US (through airmail) and though this is a finely cast large piece, it was completely intact. High quality plaster and professional wrapping. Good show.

jakal72
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 19 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2003 - 04:19 AM UTC
Thanks for your advice the house is looking good.If anyone wants to know the scene will be Germans hiding in the house and around the house ambushing a M4A1Sherman which was my first military model i built.Which has been through hell and back I say this because I dropped it several times and had to paint it at least three times before i got It right.Also I purchased a SIG 33 Artillerycanon does anyone have any pictures or know any sites that have battle damage to armor tanks.
 _GOTOTOP