Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon 1:72 SU-100 Tank Destroyer
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 04:49 PM UTC
Well here is the little Dragon 1:72 SU-100. I took these pics before base and model were "fused" together. Apologies about the fluff than can just be seen, No matter how much I dust the model, it always creeps on and with the camera magnification....

I am learning more and more about how to take better digital camera photo's with manual settings. I hope this does not look too washed out.

Model was completed using Vallejo paints and oil washes. MIG pigments were also used to dirty up the lower chassis and wheels. I also used the dot filter method, which has given a lovely subtle finish to the fighting compartment sides, front and back. Definitely be using this method more and more.

Pics of the completed model on its base will be done a little later as my camera battery went flat.

I am also looking at some ways of removing or minimising the DS track joins as even hidden by a roadwheel, they still can be seen. Being on the base now, they are harder to spot, but I will work to remove them as best I can. One of the drawbacks with DS or vinyl tracks I guess.

Cheers and thanks

Mike
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 06:02 PM UTC
Looks good, it is a little shiny but I suspect that's the lighting making it look like that. Good job
Exequiel
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 02:13 PM UTC
she's lovely michael.
FLiPSiDE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 75 posts
Armorama: 72 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 06:22 AM UTC
Looks really good. Did the tarpaulin come with the kit? I love those 1/72 dragon kits they go together nicely. I really like the dust on the inside of the wheels (very nicely done).
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:58 AM UTC
Michael,

Another fine build! Been away for a while as usual but it is always a pleasure to see your builds when I do get the chance to visit this site. Like the weathering and your use of oils to bring some needed sheen to these otherwise dusty green russian tanks. What is your painting technique for getting the wooden handles on the saw to look like real wood and somewhat used at that? Nice tarp too!

Thanks for sharing and very nice pics!
-Eddy
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2008 - 10:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael,

Another fine build! Been away for a while as usual but it is always a pleasure to see your builds when I do get the chance to visit this site. Like the weathering and your use of oils to bring some needed sheen to these otherwise dusty green russian tanks. What is your painting technique for getting the wooden handles on the saw to look like real wood and somewhat used at that? Nice tarp too!

Thanks for sharing and very nice pics!
-Eddy

Thanks Eddy

I used burnt umber oil paints over Vallejo buff base coat. It is most effective and you can vary the "deepness" of the handles by brushing away the oils as required.

Quoted Text

Looks really good. Did the tarpaulin come with the kit? I love those 1/72 dragon kits they go together nicely. I really like the dust on the inside of the wheels (very nicely done).

The tarp was a resin addition which I added to add a little character to the SU-100

Cheers

Mike
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 06:14 PM UTC
Update: Here is the base. My wife Lori reckons the base needs a tad more green added, especially to the bushes. I will take her advice and add some green flocking to the lower area of the bushes. Opinions?

I have still not got the photography quite right I think.

Cheers and thanks

Mike
 _GOTOTOP