_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-90 without SHTORA jammers, Question
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 10:52 AM UTC
Hy guys!

A quick Question. I know there is a newer version of the T-90 without the two SHTORA jammers. Instead, it has ERA. Are there any other differences?
I recognized a "new" (?) muffler. Anything else? Also, would it be possible to build such a particular vehicle with the older-style Rmsh tracks?

Any help is much appreciated.

Best regards,

Andreas
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 04:01 PM UTC
It would depend on how many are in service, if they are show pieces or not, and how long they have been in service where. Meaning that they can use the older tracks if they want to but they may make a point to keep the new tracks on them for show, or that they may not yet have needed to change them out and use up old spares yet.

As for the other changes, i am only aware of the new ERA arrangement, the new muffler is "new" to me...
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 07:08 PM UTC
Dear Jacques!

I knew I can count on your help

Okay, I got your point about the tracks, I´m probably going to take the new-style tracks from my first T-90. Instead it will get the Rmsh tracks.

About the "new muffler": Well, it just don´t look like mine in the T-72 kit. Or is it the same without the cover?

And this one here again looks different from the rest. Any clarifictaion whats going on with russian mufflers?

(Only for discussion, taken from photofile-user andrey84!)

Best regards,

Andreas
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 07:31 PM UTC
What about his one?:

It is a modernized T-72B, but it shares a common thing with the T-90: The V-92S engine... Look at this pic:

Take a closer look to the exhaust area... The new exhaust needs a hull extension, so you can't make that new muffler with the Tamiya T-72 hull, you must cut the entire exhaust area, make the hull extension a new fuel tank and a new muffler... Here are a couple of pics:

Look very carefully the exhaust area and you'll find the hull extension... BTW, I haven't seen T-72/90 with V-92S engine and RMSh tracks... I'm scratchbuilding one of those T-90 with V-92S engine upper hull, so I've noticed that issue a long time ago... Hope this helps. Most regards.

todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 07:51 PM UTC
Hy Jose!

Thanks for the head-up, the muffler in the first pic looks similar to the rest. It seems there is an extra part which can be mounted/dismounted. looks cool.

Don´t missunderstood me, but I cannot locate any hull extension. Also the arrangement and numbers of the roadwheels is the same, as well as the arrangement and length of the sideskirts. The fueltanks and boxes on both sides of the tank seem to have the "normal lenght".

Any advice about the extension is most welcome, I for one wasn´t able to locate it. To me it seems that only the muffler/muffler-cover itself is changed. Any plans or drawings which proof the extension?

And do you know about other changes made to those T-90 except the muffler and the extra-ERA instead of the SHTORA emmiters?

My intention is to build such a particular vehicle by using the MINIARM conversions. And so I´m on the search to know what should be done/changed.

Best regards,

Andreas
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 08:17 PM UTC
Yes, you're right, maybe I said it wrong, the extension is not longitudinally but latitudinally (as the engine is placed)... Look carefully at the exhaust area at the left side of the engine hatch and compare it to a T-72 and you'll see the difference. Most regards.

José
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 08:28 PM UTC
Ah!

Now I got your point!

Best regards,

Andreas
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 02:20 AM UTC
Hi Andreas,
another interesting feature is the different left side bin. Never seen this one before.

Olivier
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 02:31 AM UTC
Jep!

Just recognized it a few minutes ago. With mesh on the bottom, some kind of radiator behind it. Very interesting.

Best regards,

Andreas
Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 05:02 AM UTC
That's an air conditioner. This picture shows T-90S with tropical package.
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 07:18 AM UTC
Thanks for the Info. Interesting to see that India doesn´t seem to use the airconditioner Funny world.

Anyway,

Best regards,

Andreas
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 03:52 AM UTC
Correct me if I am wrong but there are two (or three ) different vehciles being discussed:

1. T-90S (export version)

2. T-90S (in russian service use...absorbed by Red Army after a export sale fell through...Iran?)

3. T-90A (in Russian service) late model? Simply a -A without the Shtora and with ERA blocks rearranged and added to fill the space.

Am I missing something?
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 05:45 AM UTC
Okay, sounds good, but forgive me my ignorance, what VISUAL differences are between a "A" without SHTORA and a "S"? Except the air-conditioner in the new turret box and re-arrengement of the TUCHA on the left turret side (at least on some vehicles)?

Puh, those differences and designations are going to make me crazy some day.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Andreas
flexjay
Visit this Community
Shanghai, China / 简体
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 07:45 PM UTC
Hello everyone! I am new here!
I am from China ,and my English is not good......
No discussion about the difference between the export version and the Russian service version. Just talk about the appearance:
There are two kinds of the T-90 turret: the cast version(from T-72b),and the welded version(improving from object 188 turret).each version could have two configurations:with SHTORA jammers or with additional ERAs,and here are some pictures:
welded turret with additional ERAs

cast turret with additional ERAs

welded turret with SHTORA jammers

cast turret with SHTORA jammers

Current missile use varaable wavelength,so the SHTORA jammer is not very effective,and it occupies the most space for the turret protection,so the additional ERAs is a good substitute.

thanks for correct me! And sorry for poor English
Blucop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 262 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 09:31 AM UTC
What happened to the photos? I'm catching this post on the 10th of May and they're not showing up. Are they located anywhere else?
flexjay
Visit this Community
Shanghai, China / 简体
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 02:57 PM UTC
Try again to post the pictures:
welded turret with additional ERAs

cast turret with additional ERAs

welded turret with SHTORA jammers

cast turret with SHTORA jammers

Blucop