_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
106mm recoilless cannon
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 06:34 AM UTC
hye everyone

There on my shelf, I've got an american 106mm recoilless cannon, and on the other side a mudjahideen box...
I think I heard somewhere that the mudjahideen had some of these. But I am fare from certain...
Does anyone around know about this ?

penpen
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 09:36 AM UTC
There was a battle involving a recoilless rifle and an infantry company using mortars. I am unsure if the mujahdeen were that particular type of rifle. Go for it, who's to tell you that you are wrong?
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 07:35 PM UTC
thanks !
I was looking for a occasion to start modeling a few sandbags out of clay or putty.
This sounds like it's the right time.

penpen
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 12:33 AM UTC
Penpen---I'd be interested in seeing the 106. What scale is it in? Seems to me there was one floating around in some wierd 1:50 scale some years ago. Great gun, just don't believethe bogus stories that you could fire it off an M-274 MULE. Not cool. It worked well off the M-113. The Vietnamese used them quite successfully to bust bunkers and houses.
DJ
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 12:41 AM UTC
The old 106s made a hell of a bang, from both ends! The backblast was pretty fearsome, and is one reason the big recoilless rifles never caught on. (Too big to pick up and run once you mark your position with the first shot!)

Good luck with the mujahadeen, though. I'd love to see the final product.
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 07:35 PM UTC
Yes it is 1/35th. The kit is mainly an afterproduct for the ACAV M113, but there is also
the tripod needed to feature it alone. I don't know the brand.
The mudjahideen are from the ICM kit (a russian kit maker who's selling some rather good quality stuff).

Right now I'm working on an other dio (see the appartment dio post),
so i'll have to wait a bit before starting this one.

penpen
Sabot
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 09:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Penpen---I'd be interested in seeing the 106. What scale is it in? Seems to me there was one floating around in some wierd 1:50 scale some years ago.

Skybow makes an excellent 106mm that comes with their M38A1C Jeep, also an excellent kit. They make the 106mm separately too in a clear bag sold on the hang pegs at your local hobby shop. The kits are in 1/35.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 01:43 AM UTC
Rob--my balding skull was just contemplating that the bad guys in Afghanistan would more likely have the Russian RRs. If memory serves me correctly, they were designated AT-4's. I vaguely recall they were 90mm guns. Are you current on what the bad guys might have from the Russians. I do not believe a US 106 would fit this scenario.
DJ
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 01:49 AM UTC
That's what my first thought would be, but who knows, we may have sent some old stuff to them while they were giving the USSR a tough time. That's why I said, "Who's to tell you that you are wrong?"
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 02:01 AM UTC
Rob--target on the mover. I can only guess at where some of our discraded military gear found new homes. I believe that smoke bringing 106 can do damage that many new systems only hint at doing. However, one shot these days from that hummer and it's heaven or hell for the crew.
DJ :-)
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 05:41 AM UTC
210CAV - you are right on out old equipment getting around. We sold and/or gave away the old 106 RR, all over the world. They couls show up anywhere. As also stated, have someone try to disprove the modeler. The AT-4 is a ATWG missle.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 08:30 PM UTC
Ranger74--is the AT4 the Songbird? If so, they mounted that on a tank turret for a while. What is the designation for the 90mm RR the Russians produced? I can not recall if the Russians ever went higher than 90mm fo RRs.
DJ
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 01:18 AM UTC
Having been on active duty as a tanker during the Cold War, I used to know all the stuff. I will have to look thru my references. The Soviet Mech Rifle units carried 57mm RR for close-in AT defense, to cover the dead space of their AT-missiles. I know the US also has.had a 90mm RR. It was issued to the Berlin Brigade to replace their dragons. The urban sprawl, street car wires, and often extremely short engagement ranges may Dragons useless. The Ranger battalions also carried them until the Javelin came out. They may still carry them. I'll see what I can find.

Jeff
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 01:29 AM UTC
Jeff--appreciate your refreshing my mind on Soviet equipment. I do not recall those clowns having anything larger than a 90mm RR. We had the infamous 3.5" rocket launcher for a while when I first came on active duty. It was retained in the 82nd because you could break it into two parts for placement in an appropriate weapons container. The 90mm is a superb weapon, but alas, a solid tube system. The saving grace of the 90mm was the night sight. When TOW and DRAGON first came on the scene some genius decided we did not have enough money to equip the first generation with night sights. I assume you can recall the infamous shooting of TOWs under illumination. Let's not even discuss America's answer to the RPG, the dreadful and totally useless LAW....and, there went our tax money.
DJ
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2002 - 02:46 PM UTC
I know this is a really old thread, but I was looking for ACAV info and found it...

I found a page with info on Soviet/Chinese Recoilless guns:

http://www.soft.net.uk/entrinet/tactics7a.htm

Thought you guys would like this one...

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2002 - 06:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Let's not even discuss America's answer to the RPG, the dreadful and totally useless LAW....and, there went our tax money.
DJ

God Colonel I made expert many a time with this thing. I thought it was a waste also
IN-COUNTRY
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2002 - 08:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Penpen---I'd be interested in seeing the 106. What scale is it in? Seems to me there was one floating around in some wierd 1:50 scale some years ago. Great gun, just don't believethe bogus stories that you could fire it off an M-274 MULE. Not cool. It worked well off the M-113. The Vietnamese used them quite successfully to bust bunkers and houses.
DJ

Actually the Marines in Vietnam did fire them off the backs of the M274 Mule. I have a number of photos of same from the batle for Hue city. It was used in other areas as well.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2002 - 09:12 PM UTC
Both the Soviet 82mm and US 106 faced each other across the sands of the Sinai twice. The israeli AT/recon units had them mounted in the back of M38/CJ jeeps. They were able to make short shrift of T-34s. Ibelieve they were removed from service with the influx of TOWs during the 73 war. Ther are lots of pics available of both in use during the conflicts.As far as the afgans go I'd have to agree they probably had soviet RRs. Iwould think shipping 106mm setups and ammo to somewhere where you can't move it by jeep or helo would be a nightmare and logistics headache all around. The 82mm could be pulled by men or mule.

Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2002 - 10:43 PM UTC
Yes, as stated above, the 106mm RR was mounted on the MULE, untill they were replaced on the MULE by the TOW. In the 1980s the Berlin Brigade (US) reintroduced the 90mm RR to the Army inventory. It could be broken in half for man carry and was shoulder fired. It was found by the Brigade that the Dragon and TOW wire guided missles were useless inside the city, due to short engagement times, numerous tree-lined streets and overhead trolley and other electrical lines. The recoiless rifles, although they have a terrible blast signature and require special site prep to fire from under cover, are not affected by the obstacles that affect wire-guided systems. And of course they are fire-and-forget, important in close-in fighting.
 _GOTOTOP