Hosted by Darren Baker
need help with Pine trees..
ausboarder
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 162 posts
Armorama: 139 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 09:11 PM UTC
Does anyone have an easy/simple and cheap way to make 1/35th pine trees ?
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2008 - 09:22 AM UTC
Smithy,
Iv'e heard and seen asparagus fern used but have not found any myself. Seems no-one in the flower shops here knows about it. A company called Campbell scale models (r/r accesories) from Tustin Californin made a set up called pine tree kit #100. Iv'e used up my supply with decent results. Only problem was the green dye rubs off on your fingers ( a bear to get off) and they have a tendicy to get brittle after awhile, glyceron might take care of that . Came with about five pre-colored tappered wood trunks and a bunch of material for the limbs. Not sure if the co. is still around but google it up and see
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2008 - 08:36 PM UTC
Hey Smiffy
There are definitely a couple of articles floating on the kitmaker and other networks.
A way that I have used as Bob mentioned was Asparagus fern. I have heard that florists use it in arrangements, but haven't had any luck there. I have found puh-lenty in the wild and in gardens down here though, once I knew what to look for. People grow it in hanging baskets or pots. It has super fine foliage with tiny needles off each stem. The foliage varies from a very dark, deep green to lighter shades of green. The stem itself is no bigger than 1/8" at it's largest. (3 or 4 mm) You will know you have the right stuff if there are rose like thorns on the segmented stems. It can also grow over fences and in amongst other plants.
Once you have procured some, then hopefully someone will have supplied a link to the articles I had in mind!
Using dowel rods for the pine tree trunks is next, and can be scribed with a rotary tool to give the impression of bark surface etc.
I could bang on for too long here, but you get the drift!
Cheers
Brad
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2008 - 09:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Smiffy
There are definitely a couple of articles floating on the kitmaker and other networks.
A way that I have used as Bob mentioned was Asparagus fern. I have heard that florists use it in arrangements, but haven't had any luck there. I have found puh-lenty in the wild and in gardens down here though, once I knew what to look for. People grow it in hanging baskets or pots. It has super fine foliage with tiny needles off each stem. The foliage varies from a very dark, deep green to lighter shades of green. The stem itself is no bigger than 1/8" at it's largest. (3 or 4 mm) You will know you have the right stuff if there are rose like thorns on the segmented stems. It can also grow over fences and in amongst other plants.
Once you have procured some, then hopefully someone will have supplied a link to the articles I had in mind!
Using dowel rods for the pine tree trunks is next, and can be scribed with a rotary tool to give the impression of bark surface etc.
I could bang on for too long here, but you get the drift!
Cheers
Brad

This is a method pioneered by a man named Jack Work back in the 70's. I still have some railroad scenery books with his method in them. You could try a search or ask around on a model railraod DG. They're still the bestI've ever seen.

In fact, I just did a search abd Jack Work's method does indeed come up.
Here's a differeny link that might be helpful:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11134&SearchTerms=tree
panzergoth
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 142 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 12:46 PM UTC
hi smiffy, i dont know if they are available in your locale , but you can use cedar shakes, or shims available @ builders supply house. you want ones that are about 1/2 inch @ the widest point, they are cut and sold pretapered so cut the with a utility knife tapered like a spear, but square 2 the base. start @ the base and continue to whittle the trunk until it becomes rounded. keep the knife blade flat or even facing toward you as you drag the knife away from you.. start on each of the square corners and work your way around the trunk, eventually eliminating all flat edges.they should be about a foot long.. then take a very small finish nail and mount it in the base , as a mounting device and handle. when you are happy with your results then you can stain them a natural wood color. prior to staining i use an exacto saw to drag from base to top to represent bark. after drying i use air ferns sprayed with hair spray to preserve color . take a needle or pin vise and drill holes starting a few scale ft. up from the base. into these you will insert your branches . drill at random around circumference as you go up because the branches are not always directly over one another. insert end of branch into white glue then insert in holes as you work your way up the trunk. the trees will take shape very quickly and you can knock out a small forest in hours. thats it! have fun and good luck, jim arr
ausboarder
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 162 posts
Armorama: 139 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 08:17 PM UTC
Thanks alot guys, very helpful

cheers.
endrju007
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Podkarpackie, Poland
KitMaker: 2,435 posts
Armorama: 1,256 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 09:30 PM UTC
Hi!
If you like this one:

here is how it was done: bunch of wires was bended in half and then I twisted it to the shape of a tree – when you want to make branch just separate some wires from the main trunk end twist it separately. When it is done cover whole thing with white glue and very fine sand (it gives nice texture). Then glue it with white glue once again on the branches and cover it with milled sponge (it has to be a fine sponge – I’ve stolen mine from my wife’s kitchen supplies ).
Then just paint it and its ready .

Andrzej
ZippZiggy
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 02:15 AM UTC
im sure you could also buy a box of woodland scenics foliage to spruce up the above method. I might try this.
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Armorama: 810 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 07:00 AM UTC
Smithy -

There's a Company by the name of "Bragdon Enterprises" that has developed a really excellent 'process' for doing evergreen trees;
http://www.bragdonent.com/finescal.htm
Unfortunately, they stopped (temporarily?) producing the trunks for their trees, but still have the 'foliage' available I believe. Their process had resin trunks with wire branches that you glued/hot glued on making very convincing evergreens. If you can come up with the 'runks' part, the branches work really well.

Blade48mrd
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 759 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 07:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Smithy -

There's a Company by the name of "Bragdon Enterprises" that has developed a really excellent 'process' for doing evergreen trees;
http://www.bragdonent.com/finescal.htm
Unfortunately, they stopped (temporarily?) producing the trunks for their trees, but still have the 'foliage' available I believe. Their process had resin trunks with wire branches that you glued/hot glued on making very convincing evergreens. If you can come up with the 'runks' part, the branches work really well.

Blade48mrd

I can second Mike's advice.

Although it might seem expensive, you get enough to make about 20 trees (or so it seemed to me). As for the trunks, I just used my Dremel to grind down basswood dowels, then drilled holes in them for the branches - you have to be careful with this part.

Here's how they turned out for me. With practice you can easily master it.

HTH
Samuel
Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 916 posts
Armorama: 758 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 01:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone have an easy/simple and cheap way to make 1/35th pine trees ?

Check this out:
http://trevinocircle.net/sippin/index.html

I tried this - takes some practice but not too bad (and cheap).
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 05:58 AM UTC
I just thought I would refresh this thread with this: do a search for a dried flower, or plant, supplier - not a florist shop. I've discovered most florists don't carry dried plants any more. Dried stuff from a supplier/distributer is the same stuff from model tree manufacturers and can be bought much cheaper and in larger quantities.
philter4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 04:21 PM UTC
I scratch build my own from clay, wire and misty ( a plant used in wreath making that you can buy both dried and preserved if you look for it) I use the wire to make the frame and branches, cover it with polymer clay and sculpt the bark. Once I bake the clay I paint it, add any moss or whatever else I want and then glue on the foliage. I have seen photos of the same style trunks and branches but the foliage was made from chopped up coconut husk covered in sessil string painted pine green.

Here is a photo of a pair of 1:35 pine trees I made for my mom's antique duck decoy display.
 _GOTOTOP