_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Individual Track Links...how??
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 04:11 AM UTC
I am going to be building some old Tamiya T-34/85 with the rubber tracks replaced with Maquette's individual tracks. I already know how to go about assembling them, however I still have some questions:

1) How can I add the tracks to the running gear after the upper and lower hull have been assembled? It seems kinda Mission Impossible to me.....
2) How would I go about painting the tracks? I want to keep the running gear fairly clean, with the rubber parts of the wheels black and such. How can I do that with the tracks on the way?
3) Is there any way that indi. tracks can be assembled than removed for painting and weathering and than put back together? I am pretty sure there is but I have not come up with an idea yet.
4) How do you guys do it?

I think the main idea of my questions is how can I assemble the indi. tracks and yet make them removeable for painting?

Thanks alot.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 09:33 AM UTC
Hi

There are a couple of articles on site:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/127
&
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/84

To answer your questions:
1) you are in for a tough time. Most of the time, you need to install the tracks before adding the upper hull. It could be done if you left off the running gear.

2) If you build the tracks "my" way (see the first article, and my method is based on reading lots of other suggestions, and stealing the things that worked!), you can pop the tracks off the running gear and paint them separately. Works great.

3) & 4) See answer to 2!!

Good luck, and ask any specific questions you like.
I used the same method for T34 tracks on my T34, and it worked great. The DML tracks are easy to build for the T34.

Andy
 _GOTOTOP