_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Guns and fuel drums
october
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:44 PM UTC
I would greatly appreciate advice on the method or methods to eliminate the seam which appears when gun barrels and fuel drums are cemented together.
Best regards October
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:37 PM UTC
Over-glue just a trifle and let the glue come out... let it dry and sand them smooth. That will usually work. :-)
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:49 PM UTC
For gun barrels, you want to wrap the sandpaper around the barrel and twist the barrel around to sand it. That way you'll keep the circular shape of the barrel. If you use CA glue (superglue), you can tape the barrel together with small strips of masking tape, then run a bead of superglue down the seam. Afterwards, you just scrape away the excess with an X-Acto knife and sand as described above.

Nic
Shahrid
Visit this Community
Damansara, Malaysia
KitMaker: 116 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 05:04 PM UTC
To overglue an area is one method to cover seams. Another method is to apply modelling soft putty ( Tamiya) covering the seams then sandpaper it to smooth before painting.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 05:38 PM UTC
I've had some good results using plastic weld type glues such as my Favorite Plastruct Bondene.

This glue comes in a bottle with a brush attached to the inside of the lid to appy it with. It works kinda like welding the plastic together. for some thing with two sides such as fuel drums or gun barrels. I trim the peices and line them up where I want them and hold them together and apply the glue down the seam using the brush. capilary action draws the glue inbetween the peices of plastic.

You have to be careful and don't apply to much at a time. uselly after the glue has dried I apply a second coat. Then for things such as gun barrels I carefully sand the seam lightly and avoid flat spoting it. untill it is looks and feels smooth. If there is any gaps or what ever appy a little putty to fill. if its just a little rough, try spaying on a primer and then sanding that gently.

here is the last example of a gun I did. you can check out the pics on my website.. I used the above method to glue the gun barrel together and I think it came out pretty good.

firefly in progress

the last 3 pics are the best ones and show the barrel well...
 _GOTOTOP