1/48 Recommendations & Warnings
Milo_Milosovic
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 01:54 AM UTC
Hi There

As many people I've returned to modelling after a huge hiatus. I've decided that 1/48 may be the way forward for me having just finished a Tamiya Panzer III. (Besides 1/72 is too fiddly and I don't have the space for 1/35).

So here's my question... what's your favourite (WW2) 1/48 kit to build and what's been the biggest frustraion.

ps. I've heard some good things about Hobbyboss' T34... any other opinions on that before I invest.. thanks in advance...
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 02:07 AM UTC
The HobbyBoss T34s (and KVs) are excellent. However, their M4 Shermans are NOT particularly good and can't be corrected without some TLC (and AM sets ) . I'm currently building Tamiya's M8 and I can't recommend it highly enough - a bit basic in some details, but so easy to build it's a dream...
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 767 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 03:04 AM UTC
I've heard that some of the HobbyBoss Shermans are better than others, but they are still somewhat off. I,too, like the Tamiya stuff. I just wish there were more US tankers.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 07:58 AM UTC
The AFV Club Tigers are great kits,nicely detailed,comes with PE screens
irish
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 170 posts
Armorama: 146 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 08:25 AM UTC
The Hobby Boss T34 is an excellent kit. However, it includes an interior, and may not be a quick build. Just something to consider if you are recently back in the hobby.

irish
Milo_Milosovic
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 09:49 AM UTC
Some good advice guys... I think I'll be spending more time here...

ps. Anyone know why my post appeared here and not in the 1/48 forum?
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 01:08 PM UTC
I like the T34 from Tamiya The fit is better than the Hobby Boss is better detailed,but the tracks are a bit fiddly If you are looking for some conversions and PE stuff,Hauler and CMK have some great stuff
Galwitz
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 01:17 AM UTC
I would vote for Tamiya's T-34 or AVF Tigers. Just my 2 cents...
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,141 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 07:08 AM UTC
I too like the Tamiya M8. It was a nice and easy kit to build and looks good. I plan on getting the M20 as soon as finances allow. The Tamiya Crusaders are very nice. I'm nearly done with the anti-aircraft version and it builds up nearly flawless. I have one of the HobbyBoss(HB) KV kits and it was pretty good too. I just have to finish the tracks and fenders on it. Stay away from the HB M4. It is BAD. Although the Tamiya M4 has some issues, it is way ahead of the HB one. The other HB Shermans are okay. They can be built into reasonably decent looking kits but to make them something special, I'd recommend using some of the resin update sets from Iron Division.

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
GastonMarty
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 01:47 PM UTC
Hello everyone.

Having seen first hand almost all the 1/48th armor kits in existence, and having fairly definite opinions about most of them, I have been waiting a while for somebody to ask this very type of question.

Bear in mind that I place an unusually high premium on overall shape accuracy over any other consideration, including occasionally small details.

My favorite AFV in 1/48th so far is the Hobby Boss KV-2, whose turret and gun is more accurate than any KV-1. The fenders are at full track width which may or may not be spot on. Also the Tamiya tracks are better, but the Tamiya front superstructure is fatally off.

My second choice is the Crusader from Tamiya, whose only flaw is that it bores me to death, though the later war AAA was an unusually shrewd choice for me by Tamiya.

Third is the Panzer III by Tamiya, outstanding and unfortunately far from matched by its more interesting to me Stug III brother.

Fourth is the Pershing by Tamiya, outstanding but lacking the mantlet shroud that is apparently a must for WW2. A confusing problem for me.

A trend towards lighter vehicles in the past 18 months has produced an apparently good 250 half-track and a Steyr 1500.

Good but with serious issues;

Tamiya Tiger 1; could use slightly lowered skirts and even a Skybow hull if no spare tracks in front, as the Tamiya turret is much better.

Tamiya Sherman; shallow transmission cover by about 1.4mm, which I consider quite noticeable.

Tamiya M-10; shallow transmission cover by about 1.4mm.

Tamiya Cromwell; gun too small, especially muzzle brake.

Hobby Boss T-34/85; outstanding, incredible in many ways but wheels too thin and very ugly photo-etch rear deck innovation:moulded in photo etch. Tamiya parts will fix fairly easily.
Note that the earlier 76mm turrets are noticeably less accurate.

I may be forgetting one or two, but generally everything else has accuracy issues so severe I consider them near-unbuildable or unbuildable.

Since Tamiya has slowed down in late 2006, the quality of the releases has generally gone up I think, despite the occasionnal slip-up like the M-8 or the GMC truck.

The Hasegawa Jeep and BMW are superior to almost any softskin Tamiya has done except perhaps the Steyr 1500.

I hope this helps.

Gaston.

GastonMarty
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:32 AM UTC
I forgot to mention that among the best available plastic quater scale armor kits are actually a few of the much-maligned 30 year old Bandai kits. Not many will agree here but the subject choices are often so esoteric they will likely not be done in plastic for at least another ten year if ever, especially considering the current slowdown in releases...

M-30 ammo carrier; superbly accurate, and quite up to date if using Tamiya or aftermarket tracks.

Sdkfz 232 8-rad; the only serious flaw is the front deck angle that is probably inspired by the similar bodied Puma; reduce the front deck slope.

Daimler armored car; needs a 1mm higher turret deck, flatter driver visor "roof" and a flatter angle on the glacis "added box"; reduce the box outside angle by trimming its rear inner contact surface. Superb wheels, fenders and overall proportions.

M-12 mobile 155mm howitzer. Probably the most desirable and least likely to be superceeded soon!

155 mm howitzer; needs some help as detailed in the article section of the Track 48 site.

Flak 18 88mm; appears to be good with a very nice wheeled chassis.

Some of the trucks are said to be good, but I have never seen them.

The above list is small, but note that every one of these I consider better than about two-thirds of Tamiya's new releases since 2005... Not bad for thirty year old kits...

Note that most resin glass-cabin and also resin tracked vehicles have proved near impossible to build from my point of view, and were also of very doubtful basic symmetry and general accuracy. Tamiya-based resin conversions are much better value generally than full resin kits. Especially for beginners..

I hope this helps.

Gaston.

Milo_Milosovic
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:37 AM UTC
Wow! Thanks for taking the time to write such an exhaustive reply Gaston.... extremely helpful...
FirstMass
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 146 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 06:08 AM UTC
Gaston,

I just checked out Track 48's Article section and did not see an article pertaining to Bandai's 155mm howitzer. Can you help me out with a link? I have the kit and would enjoy reading the article before beginning construction.

Thanks!

Brian
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 08:02 AM UTC
No article as such, but a short discription of the work required in the gallery section.
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 767 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 09:23 AM UTC
Anyone built the ICM Sd.kfz 222? Is it worth getting?
GastonMarty
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:51 AM UTC
The track 48 site changed its layout, and the 155 Long Tom article is now in the gallery, which is a bit strange as the kit is still unfinished. It's not very long but quite exhaustive, and has very useful in-process photos. Obviously a project that has been side-tracked by the 2006 flood of releases...

The ICM 222 armoured car is a huge disapointment, I'm sad to say, with hardly a single flat plate matching in any way the proportions of the real vehicle, especially in the all-important front view... ( the upper driver visor plate is almost unbelievably off). Despite the nice photo etch screens, this is on a level with the absolute worst Tamiya has done in the past two years, unfortunately, such as the Kubelwagen, GMC 6x6, Hetzer or Jagdpanther, to name the very worst in my opinion concerning overall proportions...

Among German light armored vehicles by all means save your time for the very nice Tamiya Sdkfz 250, one of their better efforts. Note that it has been pointed out that this is actually a 253 body, but thanks to Bruce Culver I now know that about 800 were built like that in a Hungarian production line if memory serves. Thanks Bruce! I was about to put that one in the "auction" pile!

Among wheeled German vehicles the only thing I can think of is the Sdkfz 232 8 rad by Bandai, or perhaps the odd resin kit. The front deck slope of the Bandai is easy but unpleasant to fix... Beware of donut "stretched" or out of round wheels of most of the older Gasoline stuff... They probably have that fixed by now but you never know...

I hope this helps.

Gaston.
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone built the ICM Sd.kfz 222? Is it worth getting?

There's a build article abd review on Track48 and another photo posted on ML a few days ago.
Bert-Jan
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 07:58 PM UTC
I am just building the Peolini Design Dodge WC54 Ambulance.
Not a tank, but a very nice looking model. Very nicely detailed

Build is very straight forward, not the easiest, but it is really recommended.
I plan to detal the rear compartment some more, which loks to be done quite easily and put it on a small diorama/vignette with some folks from the Tamiya "US infantry at rest" set.

Can I post some in-progres-pictures here later??

Cheers,

Bert Jan
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 08:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Can I post some in-progres-pictures here later??

Not only would be delighted to see photos of the build, we'd welcome a review of the kit as well...
 _GOTOTOP