Hosted by Darren Baker
Former Mud Diver seeks M543A2 1/35 kit
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 657 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 09:58 AM UTC
Hi all. I spent a year operating an M543A2 5 ton wrecker during my time with the 1st Infantry Division in the early 70s before crewing on an M88. I have a bit of a soft spot for recovery vehicles but have never seen a 543 wrecker kit. There is an older, possibly reissued, 1/32 M-62 kit that is available and I have that one. I would love to have a 1/35 scale M543A2 to add to my recovery vehicle collection. Does anybody know of a kit or a conversion kit to transform another vehicle? Any and all help would be appreciated!
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 10:06 AM UTC
Hi James

What about this one ?

RealModel website

HTH
Frenchy
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 07:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi James

What about this one ?

RealModel website

HTH
Frenchy

Thank you very much for responding. I had never seen that kit before. I was thrilled until I went to the site and did a currency conversion on the price. The price for me would be $233.53 US plus shipping costs. I'd be willing to pay about half that for a kit, not necessarily that one because I expect it is of high quality to command such a price. I will keep the information saved so if I change my mind I will have the information.

I have never built a full resin kit except an attempt at a few aircraft. Those kits were were some of the worst castings and most ill fitting kits I ever tried to build. One was a Fokker EI that I gave up on it as each wing was badly bowed as if they had been laid lengthwise on a cylinder while soft. They were bowed in opposite directions. They also had a droop to them. I tried for hours to soften them and rebend them but they ended up mis-shapen. The tail section parts were half formed at best and the edges were so this as to be translucent and totally devoid of detail. Another kit had a solid one piece fuselage that sorely needed cleanup which would have removed much of the surface detail. The motor looked like it was formed from a piece of used chewing gum. The few resin modification kits I have bought have been OK if the came from Verlinden and another company whose name eludes me. So, full resin kits scare me.

I have 1/35th scale M-88s which I crewed the longest. I had a little experience with the M578 and have the M110 and the Verlinden conversion. I trained on the older 10 ton Dragon Wagon but I haven't found a kit of it either. It was an older style, more traditional looking truck whose military designation I have long forgotten. Ahhh, those days at Aberdeen Proving Grounds were as cool as the are long gone.... There was so much great equipment there on display. Ft Riley, Kansas not so much so except for the atomic cannon that was on display there. Sorry to wax nostalgic, old age approaching and all that.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 08:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I trained on the older 10 ton Dragon Wagon but I haven't found a kit of it either. It was an older style, more traditional looking truck whose military designation I have long forgotten.

Tank WorkShop has released a complete resin kit of the M123A1C 10-Ton Tractor (#TWS0094 $100.00) Tank WorkShop website . I can't vouch for its quality, but here's a built model I've found on the Internet (the trailer appears to be a modified Tamiya M15) :

More pics HERE

Frenchy
bulivyf
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 2,450 posts
Armorama: 2,409 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 08:19 PM UTC

Thank you very much for responding. I had never seen that kit before. I was thrilled until I went to the site and did a currency conversion on the price. The price for me would be $233.53 US plus shipping costs. I'd be willing to pay about half that for a kit, not necessarily that one because I expect it is of high quality to command such a price. I will keep the information saved so if I change my mind I will have the information.

I have never built a full resin kit except an attempt at a few aircraft. Those kits were were some of the worst castings and most ill fitting kits I ever tried to build. One was a Fokker EI that I gave up on it as each wing was badly bowed as if they had been laid lengthwise on a cylinder while soft. They were bowed in opposite directions. They also had a droop to them. I tried for hours to soften them and rebend them but they ended up mis-shapen. The tail section parts were half formed at best and the edges were so this as to be translucent and totally devoid of detail. Another kit had a solid one piece fuselage that sorely needed cleanup which would have removed much of the surface detail. The motor looked like it was formed from a piece of used chewing gum. The few resin modification kits I have bought have been OK if the came from Verlinden and another company whose name eludes me. So, full resin kits scare me.

I have 1/35th scale M-88s which I crewed the longest. I had a little experience with the M578 and have the M110 and the Verlinden conversion. I trained on the older 10 ton Dragon Wagon but I haven't found a kit of it either. It was an older style, more traditional looking truck whose military designation I have long forgotten. Ahhh, those days at Aberdeen Proving Grounds were as cool as the are long gone.... There was so much great equipment there on display. Ft Riley, Kansas not so much so except for the atomic cannon that was on display there. Sorry to wax nostalgic, old age approaching and all that.[/quote]

Hello,
you have very bad price, M543 cost $ 188.- shipping £9.-
Here is link.
[url=http://www.realmodel.cz/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=159&products_id=3295
Removed by original poster on 05/12/08 - 07:21:00 (GMT).
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 01:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I trained on the older 10 ton Dragon Wagon but I haven't found a kit of it either. It was an older style, more traditional looking truck whose military designation I have long forgotten.

You could also scratch-convert an M123A1C suing parts from the Tamiya M25 Dragon Wagon, old Revell 1/32 wrecker, AFV Club M35, Testors M925, and lots of sheet styrene....

Good luck.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 06:34 AM UTC
Hi Bulivyf and thank you for the information. I just placed an order for one and it did cost just over $200.00 including shipping. Now I will be like a kid waiting for Christmas!

I will search around the internet to see if I can find some build information on the kit. I always like to be prepared.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 06:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Tank WorkShop has released a complete resin kit of the M123A1C 10-Ton Tractor (#TWS0094 $100.00) Tank WorkShop website . I can't vouch for its quality, but here's a built model I've found on the Internet (the trailer appears to be a modified Tamiya M15) :

More pics HERE

Frenchy

Hi! Thanks again Frenchy! That would be the one! I cannot believe I forgot a designation as simple as M123! I drove one around the training area and loaded and unloaded a tank of some type on it (I remember the cannon was fixed in the turret and the entire turret pivoted up and down from the middle to raise and lower the gun.}

On both this vehicle and the wrecker that I opened this thread eluded me on every internet search I tried to track one with. I'm not a computer novice by any means and have somewhat of a reputation of being able to find about anything on the internet. I'm glad I'm not so self-important that I fear asking for help when I need it. And I appreciate the members of this forum helping me out so quickly and so accurately.

Well, on my way to check availability for the kit. I just got my economic stimulus check Saturday so I have a bit of unexpected mad money.

Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 07:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

More pics HERE

Frenchy

Hi! Thanks again Frenchy! That would be the one! I cannot believe I forgot a designation as simple as M123! I drove one around the training area and loaded and unloaded a tank of some type on it (I remember the cannon was fixed in the turret and the entire turret pivoted up and down from the middle to raise and lower the gun.}

On both this vehicle and the wrecker that I opened this thread eluded me on every internet search I tried to track one with. I'm not a computer novice by any means and have somewhat of a reputation of being able to find about anything on the internet. I'm glad I'm not so self-important that I fear asking for help when I need it. And I appreciate the members of this forum helping me out so quickly and so accurately.

Well, on my way to check availability for the kit. I just got my economic stimulus check Saturday so I have a bit of unexpected mad money.

Ordered one. I will post with description after i get it. I appreciate the help.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:06 AM UTC
I ordered the kit shortly after being provided with a souce and a decent price. I arrived yesterday 6/11 in perfect order. I am a happy guy! Thanks to all who made this acquisition possible!

It appears to be an excellent, very detailed kit. I haven't pawed all the way through it, just a cursory glance over. I"m not sure when I will begin the build because things are quite hectic for me right now.

I may try my hand at a kit review comes the time for it.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:21 AM UTC
I want to mention I also owe props to Tank Workshop. I bought their M123A1 10 ton Tractor kit. Shortly after receiving it I was contacted by the person who runs it, his name escapes me right now, but he said he had looked over a second kit he had sold and saw there were some problems with the wheels/tires. He made new molds and recast the tire assemblies. He obviously went back through his records and contacted everybody who had bought the kit that may have had the defect. I was sent a complete new set of wheels and tires for the kit at their expense. When I first got the kit I gave it a cursory once over and didn't really inspect every part in detail. After hearing from him I checked and sure enough, the wheels were deformed in the kit I received. I appreciate the proactive action that was taken to correct a problem as soon as he became aware of it. That I was contacted and told about it, and that a corrective action was taken really shows what a first class operation Tank Workshop is. I will be a repeat customer as long as I build models.
 _GOTOTOP