_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Der Untertgang (...a surrender in 20mm)
oniria
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 02:23 AM UTC
Hi all,

Here's my latest work in 20mm

- Most figures are AB, with, ELHIEM, LAMERCRAFT and TQD head swaps, for the germans (there are some LAMERCARFT and Millicast and Preiser figures for the Jerrys). The British are AB without head swap except for the “translator” (the Tommy besides de German Officer) which has a TQD head. I had to fill in the eye sockets with putty in the AB faces because they were way too deep for me to try and paint the eyes.
- The Church is an ALEMANY make. It’s plaster, so a lot care must be taken when handling. The church’s glasswork is a photocopy of the paper sheet that comes with the model into a thin plastic sheet and then “brake it” doing random cuts with a x-acto knife. There is also a pile of helmets and weapons (Now I find out that they are not very visible in the pictures ) they are Preiser and Mars.

- The scene: I intended to portrait a honourable surrender, so I avoided the typical Surrender to Russians, because I thought it would not have the feel of “all is over mates, you’ve done all Honour obliges you to”. Using Russians, inevitable brings you a is more “revenge” and “you’ve had it coming” sort of thing. I didn’t find enough US figures that I liked for my purpose so I just thought the Tommies and their “fair play” would do good, and it’s not as typical as with the other allies. Overall, I think it’s turned out pretty good, and it gives an acceptable “Pride in defeat” atmosphere that I was looking for. I think something essential in a diorama, vignette or figure is to know what’s happening or to show feelings with just a glance.

Hope you enjoy it. Comments and critics are welcome.

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 02:31 AM UTC
This is totally awesome, especially considering the scale - impressive with so much expression in figures this small!

Congrats, very nice work on both the figures and the base!

Cheers!
ZippZiggy
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 02:39 AM UTC
Amazing Work! I agree with Jan, great facial expressions. Church looks great to!
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 02:40 AM UTC
Fantastico!

Superbe painting on a tiny scale, better than a lot of us in 1/35!

Your choice of setting with the churchyard is a winner to.

Respect, this is great stuff.

Cheers
Claude
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 02:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is totally awesome, especially considering the scale - impressive with so much expression in figures this small!

Totally agreed.

Another thing that struck me .... look at the details and most of all .... the poses ... at this scale. It beats a lot of what is still available today in 1/35.
Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 916 posts
Armorama: 758 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 03:09 AM UTC
20mm – WOW.

Outstanding work on everything; the figures, the building, the composition / layout, etc… Even the photography is great, catching all the detail at that level.

The only thing I noticed (very minor) was no stained glass from the broken windows on the floor.

Nice job. Post more of your work.

NEO
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 545 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 03:47 AM UTC
Bravo!!!! you should submit this as a feature! Impressive!
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 303 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 08:10 AM UTC
The large backdrop of the church wall and the window make this an impressive scene not to mention the great work on the figures.Good choice to set this in the church which gives it a salvation touch to the theme,wonder how many of those Germans will need to visit the confession box whilst there .

Steve
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Armorama: 238 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:54 PM UTC
Those are some seriously depressed loking guys standing there. Good job with the emotion of the sceen.

Jim
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 01:16 PM UTC
Awesome Dio. The Church, the Figures are very well done. Thanks for sharing.
Pavlovsdog
Visit this Community
Carlow, Ireland
KitMaker: 438 posts
Armorama: 352 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:57 PM UTC
Hi Angel,

What a wonderful diorama relay love the detail partuclarly on the German collars , You've done a better job on 20mm that I can do on 1/35 the poses of the figures is also superb , all in all an A1 diorama , thank for posting the pictures

Jerry
mazyen
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:13 PM UTC
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I only realise that they are that tiny when you show your finger
Great work
 _GOTOTOP