_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-55's sag track.. Anybody who knows Czech?
oldpainless
Visit this Community
Arequipa, Peru
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 07:57 AM UTC
Hello there

I'm planning to buld a T-55, and I find this picture of the T-55 sag track!!
It's from a Czech page...so i would apreciate if somebody could translate it...i really would like to know what it says..

Cheers

Erick
Galwitz
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 08:18 AM UTC
The title basically says "the track tension".

The first picture illustrates sag for "normal conditions".

The second for "muddy or boggy conditions"

And the third for "sand terrain or snow"

Hope it helps...

-Ales-
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:38 AM UTC
Much of the problem lies in track maintenance. I've seen all three types in Afghanistan. with the first type being fairly prevalent. It would not be incorrect to depict the third option, although it is not seen as often.

A T-54, but close enough:

Even parade vehicles are not immune:

As you can see, you have several options available to you. I'd base the ulimate decision on where it's bein used, and more importantly, what you like.

By the way, ever see the one on the cover of Osprey's "Modelling the T-55Main Battle Tank?"
That's as extreme as it gets. I would hope it was modeled on an actual photograph.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 01:14 AM UTC
I suppose the correct question to ask here is what is the most common track lay seen on this vehicle? While I suspect Gary is correct in the information he has provided and the last image displayed in the line drawing would I believe be asking to throw the track, I would most likely go somewhere between picture 1 and 2 in the line drawing.
oldpainless
Visit this Community
Arequipa, Peru
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 06:58 AM UTC
Thanks you all for your replies....

Well it's really an interesting subject.....I think I'll go for the track tension showed in the second drawing....

Cheers

Erick
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2008 - 01:30 AM UTC
Gary Owsley responds:
[quote]Ok, what would I know? I'm not one of those high speed, low drag types[quote]

No apology necessary.

Quoted Text

just an old tanker with at least a little time on one. I was talking about proper track tension, not would be's or could be's.

And I drove a T-62 in Afghanistan. It has nothing to do with these photos of OTHER tanks, nor does it make me an expert on track tension. Not even close. BUT, we all know what's proper and what IS are often two different things. That was the intent of posting these photos. To help the guy out. Not to disparage anyone because of their MOS.

As far as I can tell, unless someone is having fun with Photoshop, those weren't would be's or could be's, but actual real tanks less than ideal tension.

Might want to adjust your meds there...
nicocortese
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2008 - 03:08 AM UTC
Hello,

Yes, the cover shot and build of the Serbian Hellcat/T-55 Hybrid I did for the Osprey Modeling book indeed did exist..
The Idea came from a photo spread of the vehicle in an older issue of Tankograd Gazette and also I was lucky to know the person who took the photos and supplied more detail walkaround shots of the interior turret as well.
as for the Tracks...I just go by the photos..

Hope it helps,

Nick Cortese

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2008 - 04:16 AM UTC
That was a very unusual and well done build. Not kacking on it in the least, it (the actual prototype) just illustrates the point all the better.

Thanks for helping substantiate what MOST of us have known all along...
 _GOTOTOP