_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
PT-76 Wheel and Track Question
emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 01:33 AM UTC
Greetings Everyone,

I've just begun construction of the Trumpeter PT-76. I have two questions regarding the wheels and the tracks.

1. The Wheel Question: The Wheels have some raised lines in intervals on them. What are these, better yet, are they supposed to be on the sides only? Otherwise, I must carefully sandin between each one, which will take quite some time for 12 wheels.

Should they be on the circumference of the wheel as well? Should I sand the circumference?

2. Aftermarket Tracks. The kit supplied vinyl tracks are not very nice, I should say. Where can I find some decent PT-76 tracks? I saw Miniarm ones at Hobbyeasy but they are out of stock for some time. There's also ARMO ones, but they offer the same tracks for SA-6 and PT-76. Help please?
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 09:49 AM UTC
The lines on the roadwheels represent vulcanizing llines when they mold the rubber on the metal roadwheel. Technically they are oten found on roadwheels, but Trumpeters lines are fairly exaggerated. Also, the lines on the road wheel circumference would wear off rapidly as teh tank was used, as well as quickly up to the track teeth height as they rub against the wheel.

Tracks? Masterclub from Historica Models is your best bet. Snap together resin tracks, and beautiful.
emroglan
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:15 AM UTC
Then it would be OK if I sand them off, at least from the circumference? That would be great relief...

It seems Masterclub is the best bet, I will chase them now.

Thanks for the info Jacques, once again you are most helpful.
CmdrCody
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 01:26 AM UTC
Here is a pic of the very worn wheels on a PT-76. I took this pic at Ft. Campbell, KY. back in the late 1980s. There was a PT-76 and a T-55 there on display. Don M.

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 03:48 AM UTC
Those pictures are a good representation of how well worn roadwheels would look. Also, I can just make out the vulcanizing marks on the sides of the roadhwheel rubber, but not the circumference. The problem is that in real life, if you looked at the wheel close, you would see the lines. But the photos show how if you step a few feet away, they sort of disappear. But on a model you are both close and far away, so wha to do?

The best thing you can do is to make them look good to you...either still on or sanded off.
emroglan
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 04:13 AM UTC
Wow, nice pics. Thanks a lot!

For ease of application, I sanded the lines on the circumference while leaving them untouched on the sides. Construction is coming along slowly. (that is, I am at step 2 )
CmdrCody
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 04:34 PM UTC
Glad you liked the pics, I've got more if you need them. I was wondering which one of the Trump kits you were building? I hope to order one soon, probably the PT-76B. Don M.
emroglan
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 09:33 PM UTC
I am building the other one. More pics would be marvelous! I will create a blog as soon as I have more progress.
 _GOTOTOP