_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
REVIEW
DML StuH 42 w/ Zimmerit
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 04:43 AM UTC
While on the road the last few days, it occurred to me to ask "what about PE upgrades to fix the fender problems?"

Do the Voyager or Dragon STUG fenders fix the bracket issue?

Anyone know?????
Spiff
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 807 posts
Armorama: 671 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 05:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

While on the road the last few days, it occurred to me to ask "what about PE upgrades to fix the fender problems?"

Do the Voyager or Dragon STUG fenders fix the bracket issue?

Anyone know?????

Good question. I tried to find more information on the Voyager detail sets but can't see enough to determine if it includes the MIAG or Alkett brackets.

Does anyone have any of the StuG detail or fender sets and can comment as to which type are included?
mag135
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 128 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 11:38 AM UTC
Excellent review. I've just bought the kit and I noted that the gun and breech from the Stug version are included. Well, I don't know why Dragon sells this model as StuH only and not a "two in one" kit. As Stug version Spain received some waffle zimmerited vehicles, and I would like to know if a Miag vehicle could have the waffle pattern zimmerit, or it is characteristic of Alkett ones only...all of this in order of avoiding "surgery".
Thanks
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 02:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent review. I've just bought the kit and I noted that the gun and breech from the Stug version are included. Well, I don't know why Dragon sells this model as StuH only and not a "two in one" kit. As Stug version Spain received some waffle zimmerited vehicles, and I would like to know if a Miag vehicle could have the waffle pattern zimmerit, or it is characteristic of Alkett ones only...all of this in order of avoiding "surgery".
Thanks

Only Alkett vehicles featured the waffle-pattern zim.
Spiff
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 04:55 AM UTC
Thanks Bill, yes only Alkett produced vehicles with the waffle zimmerit pattern applied.
dazzer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 12:05 PM UTC
Hi all
Having made the king tiger with zimmerit.I brought this one today with out reading any reviews.All I have to say is WOW, totally blown away by the the detail the the kit.
I have started to build it already. The torsion and swing arms could be made to work if you remove the locating pin (front and rear will not move because of shock absorber) One gripe I have is with the rear plate where exhaust (muffler) there is no zimmerit here or underneath this but a zimmerit part for the front hull is provided. Dont know if this an over site of dragons or if this was common practice for this vechlie
But so far it has been a breeze to build so far will try the swing arms to move??

thanks Darren
Red_Tory
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 64 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 03:57 PM UTC
Scott, if you've had a chance to build this kit, I have a question: did you have a problem getting the large engine cover on the upper left corner of the rear deck to sit flush? If so, how did you correct it? The lower right corner of mine is too high and I'm not sure I want to try shaving plastic just yet.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 03:59 AM UTC
If I wanted to convert this StuH to the standard 7.5 cm StuG version what work is needed? Obviously I would have to replace the gun. Would I also have to replace the mantlet if the hole diameter in the sleeve for the 10.5 cm gun is greater than it is for the 7.5 cm gun? Are there any other external changes between the two versions?
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 03:46 AM UTC
There are no other external differences between the StuH 42 and the StuG III G other than the ones you've identified (gun and mantlet opening diameter). The two vehicles were produced side-by-side on the production lines. Obviously there were internal differences for the ammo racks but externally they were identical aside from the armament. HTH!
Spiff
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 - 06:37 AM UTC
Thanks for fielding that question Bill.

Like Bill said, they're pretty much identical except for the gun, ammunition racks etc.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 - 07:16 AM UTC
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I got the impression that the kit can be built as a 75mm Stug as well straight from the box, as it seems like all the required parts from the Stug III G are included?

_GOTOTOP