_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Hummers from Ft Chaffee
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 08:35 PM UTC
Really nice pics man....Good work and thanks a lot for this reference material.
Cheers!
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 11:53 PM UTC
Very nice. I will be able to use these very soon, as I am starting on a TOW HMMWV soon. Great job!

Quoted Text

Got one question, what is the purpose of the upright part of the radiomount on the drivers-side?

I wondered the same thing. Unless I am mistaken, these vehicles are still set up for the older VRC46-series radios. These used a smaller auxiliary receiver (only) that fit in the smaller rack (to the left in this case). Because the VRC46-series did not have any built in COMSEC, cypher and cryptographic equipment was installed in or on extra mounts and racks alongside the radios themselves. I can't be sure, but I think that upright is a mount for some bit of crypto gear. So, Salt6, what is it?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 12:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice. I will be able to use these very soon, as I am starting on a TOW HMMWV soon. Great job!

Quoted Text

Got one question, what is the purpose of the upright part of the radiomount on the drivers-side?

I wondered the same thing. Unless I am mistaken, these vehicles are still set up for the older VRC46-series radios. These used a smaller auxiliary receiver (only) that fit in the smaller rack (to the left in this case). Because the VRC46-series did not have any built in COMSEC, cypher and cryptographic equipment was installed in or on extra mounts and racks alongside the radios themselves. I can't be sure, but I think that upright is a mount for some bit of crypto gear. So, Salt6, what is it?

I think you're thinking about the VINSON, and that isn't for the VINSON device. The aux mounted to the right of the R/T, I don't see either an aux mount or a VINSON mount. It may be to mount the external speaker or just a guard, but I don't know.
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 12:48 AM UTC
If I remember VINSON right, it was pretty bulky. What I am thinking of are the little boxes of several sizes with plugs and jacks. They spent their entire existence in our vaults, locked in a cabinet. We had to inventory them every month, but they never left the arms room. I'm not sure anyone knew what they did!

I still would swear that the rack (just inside the thing everyone is wondering about) is an Aux mount. If I'm wrong, no biggie. But now I'll be peering at every photo I see, and looking in every HMMWV I pass, trying to see if they have a rack like that. I'll probably get arrested for acting like a spy! (See the problems you guys can cause? )
 _GOTOTOP