_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Panzer Dark Yellow
KMM
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 02:33 PM UTC
I was wondering what brand of paint you guys prefered for the dark yellow color that was the base coat for German vehicles from 43 onward. I like the Testor acrylic - it's that lite mustard color that most vehicles faded to after long exposure to the sun. Unfortunately, it doesn't work nearly as well for a vehicle that is supposed to be newer. The poly-s dunkelgelb just looks way too dark and brown for me - more like a color you would see on a vehicle in North Africa. Anybody else have a favorite?
powen
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 27 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 03:53 PM UTC
I use Xtracolor X808 Africa Korps Tan. Despite the name it is supposed to be a perfect match (whatever that means) for dark yellow. I thin it with laquer thinner.

DerFeind
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 04:01 PM UTC
I know this is not the answer you want, but have you, or do you, ever mix your own colors? I always seemed to run into the same problem as you, so I began mixing my own. All you need is a color wheel (5 dollars) from the craft shop and it has your answers. Once you take that step and begin buying regular artist acrylics, getting that perfect color is a snap. An added benefit is is the money savings. I/you can get 5 times the paint for the same price at a craft shop then the hobby shop. If your lucky enough to have a craft shop near you, give it a try. I also have a really good RAL Colors chart (every color they make) that I aquired somehow. If you wanna start mixing let me know and I'll e-mail you a copy to referance your mixing.
[email protected]
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 10:36 PM UTC
Hi there KMM

I find that Pollyscale dunkelgelb is fine. My bottle results in a more of a greenish yellow shade (applied by brush). The ModelMaster Acryl is close in color, but there's less green. I find yellow ochre oil paint is a nice match for drybrushing or brushed on large flat surfaces.

There is so much variability in color caused by lighting, aging etc. that any of the colors are good enough for me.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 03:16 AM UTC
I prefer Testors Model Master Enamel -Panzer Dunkelgelb '43 ( #2095 ).
Also I like Floquil's Railroad Colors, Enamel - SP Armor Yellow ( #110133 ).
Another thing that is starting to sway me over , to maybe start
investing in Floquil's line of Railroad Enamels, is their 1oz
bottles. - MORE FOR THE MONEY and their matte colors
give A DEAD FLAT FINISH.
And as with any paints, you can lighten or darken them according
to your preference
- ralph
ChrisCarney
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 88 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 04:53 AM UTC
I like the Floquil Railroad SP armor yellow also. I usually spray the base coat with that, then add the camouflage. After that drys I give the whole kit a lite dusting with the Floquil Railroad Buff. It does a nice job in fading the paint. Hope that helps some. Chris.
 _GOTOTOP