Hosted by Darren Baker
me and my earth terrain :D
ausboarder
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 162 posts
Armorama: 139 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2008 - 04:18 PM UTC
today i finally got my woodland scenics earth terrain..
but its not what i was expecting
the texture is not right and neither is the color.

i cannot post pic's because my computer has a very annoying virus ..but please, if you can tell me how to make the texture look more like trench soil..
if i ever finish this dio, the trench will be in a forest tree line.

cheers
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 12:03 AM UTC
If I were to start out and need to build a trench I would do this
1. Build up the base ground all around with white styrofoam (computer packing stuff). I would try to get about 85-90% of the shape right with small bit and pieces.
2. cover it all with a layer of household spackle. Color it first if you like. Base coat it when it dry. Let it dry some more. This could be done with paper mache
3. Mix some sand/old dried coffee grounds, (maybe) some realy fine art sand or decorative sand, or some fine RR ballast mix it in with a light amount of spackle or wall putty. Color is now its easiest.
4. Apply this over step 2 and get it 99-100% shaped. Let it dry.

I'm not sure of the product you have or the project so this may or may not help - hope it does.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 09:43 PM UTC
Smithy, what I often do is to recreate the scene as if I was actually in it. What I mean is, picture yourself digging out the trench and where you would throw the dirt. Towards the exposed side(s) would give you extra protection. if you have a trench scene in a forest, firstly think of how recent the trench has been dug as this can have a bearing on the surrounding exposed dirt/earth. Freshly dug would mean more individual higher sitting clods on your piles with more variations in colour, whereas a well established line would have the dirt more compacted (from time and traffic) and a more or less uniform colour. Have your soldiers supplies/materiel reflect this either way. Remember that the tench line would more than likely be under cover of a tree line on the edge of a clearing so as there is no protected approach for the enemy.
Scott has touched on some good base work, and to this I'd add the option of tile grout (coloured or otherwise) from Bunnings as good to lay on the basic base shape.
Cheers
Brad
TREEMENDUS
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 86 posts
Armorama: 82 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 06:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

today i finally got my woodland scenics earth terrain..
but its not what i was expecting
the texture is not right and neither is the color.

i cannot post pic's because my computer has a very annoying virus ..but please, if you can tell me how to make the texture look more like trench soil..
if i ever finish this dio, the trench will be in a forest tree line.

cheers

Try Treemendus earth powder (see Henk Meerdinks recent review, he gave it 95%). It may be just what you need and costs only £3GBP+p/p per 200gm bag.

Ant
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 09:18 AM UTC
tremendus is good, I would recommend him all the way. I will be buying a few things off him next time I see you at a show.
 _GOTOTOP