Hosted by Darren Baker
Pictures of M1A2's in Action in Iraq
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 07:21 AM UTC
I just bought the Italeri M1A2, and wnat to use it in an Iraqi diorama. I am looking for pictures of stowage on the Abrams. This can be from Gulf War I too. I know good pictures are out there but I cannot find them.

Help !

BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 07:26 AM UTC
The M1A2 did not see action in Iraq, it didn't get there until the 4th ID made it at the end of the war.

rob
GSPatton
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 07:36 AM UTC
OK, I believe you, but the photo I have of the front of an Abrams sure looked like a M1A2 the commanders vision/target viewer was pretty clear and the fact it was photographed moving towards 2 Republican Guard T-72 (both sans turrets and still smoking) The Abrams was identified as coming from the 3ID.

I know reporters can be wrong. But my need is for good shots of the rear/three-quarters views of the Abrams in action so I can add stowage appropriate with the campaign.

Thanks -
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkįe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 09:10 AM UTC
A M1A1photo from baghdad airport
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 09:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OK, I believe you, but the photo I have of the front of an Abrams sure looked like a M1A2 the commanders vision/target viewer was pretty clear and the fact it was photographed moving towards 2 Republican Guard T-72 (both sans turrets and still smoking) The Abrams was identified as coming from the 3ID.

Are you sure it wasn't a marine one with a dazzler mounted where the CITV is mounted on the A2? The marine IR dazzler is box shaped, whereas the CITV is cylindrical? They might have mis-identified a marine one as an army one. There has been a big debate over this in other forums, I am not an expert but the guys I talk to are adamant that no A2's were in OIF.

Rob
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 09:24 AM UTC
Okay, I guess I have a simple question: Which tanks did the 3ID use and which tanks did the MArines use? If I wanted to get an accurate kit to model both of them, which kits would I need? I thought I was up to speed on my M1s but you guys lost me somewhere. Thanks in advance...
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 09:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay, I guess I have a simple question: Which tanks did the 3ID use and which tanks did the MArines use? If I wanted to get an accurate kit to model both of them, which kits would I need? I thought I was up to speed on my M1s but you guys lost me somewhere. Thanks in advance...

Both the Marines and 3ID used the M1A1-HA. There were some T-72s destroyed by 4th ID M1A2s, or so I read about it in last week's Army Times. Doubtful they were manned by Iraqi soldiers though.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 10:17 AM UTC
Graywolf - Thanks to the 3/4 rear view of the M1 -

Rob - I will go back and check my photo. Could have been a Marine M1 with dazzler? Just don't know.

I do know one thing - The T in T-72 stands for Target, not the store the one with the rings and the bullseye.

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 11:00 AM UTC
Thanks Sabot. Guess I'll grab one of the Trumpeter kits and build along...
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 396 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 12:04 PM UTC
Go to Yahoo, Photos, News Photos, and do a search for M1, Abrams tank, M1A2, etc. Also, go to Army.mil and click on the Operation Iraqi Freedom link.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 04:37 PM UTC
If you want a correct Marine M1A1HA get the Marine M1A1HA kit from Shanghai dragon...has all the parts needed to make it correct OOB...no real extra work needed. Has the correct Smoke Grenade dischargers, the Bustle mounted APU, and the IFF panels that are decent. No "dazzler" piece and I am not sure of the tracks onthe moment, but it is your best bet.

For a 3rd ID tank (and yes, unless there is some major screw-up they only had M1A1HA's) Build the DML/Shanghai Dragon M1A1HA with crew. Needs IFF panels, the "boxes" added to the third ID M1's for extra Stowage, and probably bigfoot tracks. The Trumpeter M1A1HA is better with the tracks,but needs to have a turret angle fixed, and still needs the IFF panels and "boxes".

4th ID has the M1A2's. DML and Trumpeter kits are both good, Trumpeter's may be the best though overall, but the turret still needs help.

and remeber, Tamiya is easiest to build, but needs the most help to be accurate. DML is teh toughest to build, but the Best OOB. Trumpeter is in the middle.

...not that we have not all said this before.... #:-)
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 11:39 PM UTC
Regarding the IFF panels, AEF design has just issued them. Unfortunately AEF isn't shipping until June, they've also got some packs for the M2 and my personal obsession at the moment, LAVs. I just hope some european distributor starts doing GW2 bits soon. Are you listening out there european manufacturers? I really don't fancy the idea of building IFF panels with evergreen strips. How about someone out there doing an article on the comparative M1 kits available, I'd love to build one but I could sure use some kind of pointer..... Jim
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 11:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Regarding the IFF panels, AEF design has just issued them. Unfortunately AEF isn't shipping until June, they've also got some packs for the M2 and my personal obsession at the moment, LAVs. I just hope some european distributor starts doing GW2 bits soon. Are you listening out there european manufacturers? I really don't fancy the idea of building IFF panels with evergreen strips. How about someone out there doing an article on the comparative M1 kits available, I'd love to build one but I could sure use some kind of pointer..... Jim

Actually I would be requesting this of Rob (Sabot). He is probably the person to do a review of the M1 kits available. As for IFF panels, the Legends M1 accesory set has three beautiful ones in it along with tons of stowage.

Rob
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 11:52 PM UTC
Rob, thanks, another of my uhealthy obsessions is external stowage... I'll have alook on the legend website.... Jim

Ps. I've just looked at the Legend site any shops out there got the Legend stuff, Europe or U.S.A.?
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 11:57 PM UTC
Thanks, Jacques. Like I said I got lost somewhere in the blizzard of M1 posts. Think I'll print your reply and stick it on the bulletin board here at work...
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 04:05 AM UTC
Before we all get too crazy, remember the Missing-Lynx M1 tweaks list...it should cover any detail questions you have. Look at other M1 posts in here to find the link...I just printed it off and forgot about the link.
 _GOTOTOP