Hosted by Darren Baker
"Awaiting the Tiger" Dragon SU-100
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2008 - 12:42 PM UTC
This is my recently completed Dragon SU-100 Tank Destroyer and accompanying base and is an update from my previous post.

Model was completed using Vallejo paints and oil washes. MIG pigments were also used to dirty up the lower chassis and wheels, a first for me (I have ordered more shades). I also used the dot filter method, which has given a lovely subtle finish to the fighting compartment sides, front and back. Definitely be using this method more and more.

I am also looking at some ways of removing or minimising the DS track joins as even hidden by a roadwheel, they still can be seen. Being on the base now, they are harder to spot (although the camera picks them up clear as anything), but I will work to remove them as best I can. One of the drawbacks with DS or vinyl tracks I guess. I am looking forward to finding better ways to avoid the dreaded join and have come across a fantastic method posted in Missing Lynx which looks promising. Trumpeter tracks may be horrid, but at least you can cut the join off and sew them together! The DS tracks are more versatile so experiments will be needed.

So the following pics show the SU-100 on the base. My wife Lori reckons the base needs a tad more green added, especially to the bushes. I might take her advice and add some green flocking to the lower area of the bushes. Opinions?

I have still not got the photography quite right I think, though getting better. Next session I will try to get less wash out. Apologies about the fluff than can just be seen, No matter how much I dust the model, it always creeps on and with the camera magnification....

"Awaiting the Tiger" Late summer 1945, Eastern Poland

The more little armour models I build, the more I am getting addicted to them. My aircraft stash is groaning under the wight of more dust now, whilst my stash of 1:72 steadily grows. I am even buying aftermarket! So much for the break from aircraft for a couple of months.

Credit goes to my lovely wife Lori for the vignette name. Her support and love for our hobby is wonderful to share.

Comments and constructive critique ALWAYS welcome.

Cheers and thanks

Mike
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2008 - 01:17 PM UTC
Very Nice Build. Great paint and weathering,
Exequiel
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2008 - 02:07 PM UTC
lovely work as always michael. though as you pointed out, too bad about them DS tracks; methinks its the only real downside of this otherwise wonderful build.
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 12:20 PM UTC
Thanks everyone!

I picked up a silver medal with this build at WASMEx 2008

Cheers

Mike
p96260
Visit this Community
Guangdong, China / 简体
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 06:30 PM UTC
congratulations again...
i'm loving little armour models now, as you do, i bought a lot of aftermarket.
and..... i break off my aircraft work.
charmodel
Visit this Community
Hunan, China / 简体
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 09:49 PM UTC
i must admit that i love the telephone pole.very nice!
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 03:08 PM UTC
Great build Mike, the base is really effective too. Whats the "Dot Filter Method" btw ?

cheers
Brent
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 06:17 PM UTC
Brent

The dot filter method is where you apply random dots of oil colour on a side, such as yellow ochre, umber, sienna, white, red etc and then using a flat brush moistened with thinner, blend the dots into the side and each other with an up and down motion of the brush. The trick is to keep the brush clean by using more thinner.. the result is a very subtle streaking and alteration of the base colours. It does look good.

I hope that helps.

Cheers

Mike
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 10:42 PM UTC
Micheal,

I like this vehicle and you have done an outstanding job! You sure are turning out some very nice builds. Keep up the good work and congratulations on the Silver.

Quoted Text

Great build Mike, the base is really effective too. Whats the "Dot Filter Method" btw ?

cheers
Brent

Brent,

Check out the articles posted here on the FEATURES section "Colour Modulation" by: Adam Wilder and "Weathering Russian Armor" by: Ron Goins. This will give you a little more insite as to what Mike has mentioned to you concerning the "Dot Filter Method".

-Eddy
 _GOTOTOP