_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
DML Flak 38 frustration
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 06:28 AM UTC
I have the kit and have been wanting to build it, but one problem.

How is anybody able to remove the plastic from the sprues and still retain the weld seam beneath them? Very carefully, or has someone come up with a technique? And if you lose a weld seam section, is there a way to repair it? Afraid to work on it without an answer. Thank you.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 08:16 AM UTC
Hi Tom.
I had just finished Dragonīs Jaboschrek kit and had the same problems. As it was being loaded into a rail car, I didnīt bother trying to fix the seam. I thought it was hardly noticeable
That was until I saw a friends kit ..... he removed all the weld seam, as its impossible to save, and replaced it with 0.3mm plastic rod the whole way round, softened it with cement and the weld pattern added with a hypodrmic needle. I must say ... mines has now become sooooo noticeable, and a big regret to this day!! This method looked great as well!

I guess another alternative would be add etched welding, as it would conform easy enough to the shape or even better .... archer 3D weld decals!
See their "surface details" page HERE
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 08:26 AM UTC
Arc weld or perfect weld, Frank?
neil22
Visit this Community
Cotes-d`Armor, France
KitMaker: 292 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 08:39 AM UTC
i have replaced weld beads befor by heating a piece of spure, like to make arials the tamiya way, but strech them out thinner, then brush them in glue and bend round the line to be welded and stipple it with the back of a knife of something similer to give it a rougher finish. similer to frank said his mate did.

hope this helps
neil
 _GOTOTOP