_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Russian T34 painting question
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 10:22 AM UTC
My next project is going to be a Russian T34 (as soon as I get this Sherman done, hopefully only about 2 more total hours to go).

I was wondering what shade green you guys use for Russian tanks?

Another quick question, I've noticed the tanks that have the white camo on them. From photos I've seen, it looks like it has been painted on with a brush. Did they just paint white over the base green? And if so could anyone share their technique for this. I think I want to try a camo piece this time.

Thanks for any help.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 10:50 AM UTC
The Russians did not really have a true standard green in use. Any reasonable shade of green will do, heavily weathered of course. Shades varied between factories and even within the same factory. Fighting on your home turf with the enemy at the outskirts of the town or even your factory complex makes color standardization issues moot. That being said, winter camo was applied rather haphazardously by the crews, allied or axis. It was a whitewash temporary paint that was slopped on with brushes, rags, mops, brooms or even poured on from the can. This was applied straight over the base green color with little vehicle prep, probably applied over mud that may have still been on the vehicle.

My couple attempts at whitewash camo was done using an acrylic paint over an enamel airbrushed green tank. I painted the white on with a brush like if a crew had done it. After it had dried, I gave it a wash with a little gray paint. I also used a piece of sand paper to simulate wear where the white wash would have worn off from crew movement and effects of the terrain.
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 12:16 PM UTC
Cool, thanks Sabot.
Exactly the info. I was looking for.
 _GOTOTOP