_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Mixing plaster
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 714 posts
Armorama: 360 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 01:41 PM UTC
I was wondering if you folks have any successful methods for mixing plaster of paris. I've been trying to figure out a good powder to water ratio, but I just mix it up to the consistency of thick cream. I also have some dental stone that I can add to the mix for extra strength.
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 11:35 PM UTC
I mix 1 part plaster, two parts water and mine is watery at first, but within a few minutes thickens up to a perfect mix. If it gets too thick, just add more water and remix.

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2003 - 12:04 AM UTC
I use woodland scenics Hydrocal stuff and I mix it to a thick yet pourable (thin milkshake almost) consistancy. I try to get as close to the quoted measurements as possible.
No rocket science. Mix slowly to reduce airbubbles. Tap the mold when you you've poured to force any air to the surface. I think some people even put in on the washing machine to force bubbles out.
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 714 posts
Armorama: 360 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2003 - 09:42 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies. I might make it a little wetter than normal and add some of the dental stone. This way I can get some additional strentght while making the casting lighter.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2003 - 11:02 AM UTC
Much of this depends on the brand and they type... but the key thing is that over time, it thickens... what looks watery at first may well be the right mix in 3 or 4 minutes! I use DENTAL PLASTER for my commercial work, which requires a 60 to 40 mix of plaster to water, but my preferred brand of generic plaster is 30% plaster powder to 70% water with a little additional tweaking as I best see fit for the particular piece.... a lot also depends on the termerature of the area where the pour is made. My best advice is follow the instruction of the mfr.!!!
 _GOTOTOP