_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Dragon Wagon Dio mock-up. (pics)
DGeraths
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 02:43 PM UTC
Here is the mock-up of the diorama I am designing for my Tamiya Dragon Wagon. I don't know if anyone else does this kind of mock up before constructing the real thing. I work in exhibit design so I think it is left over from that. Building a mock-up like this is standard protocal in that kind of work.
It does make it easy to move and tweak the whole scene before costly materials are waisted. There is a story unfolding in this scene that is not apparent here but I will get into that later on. I just thought some of you other dio builders would like to see the progress pics of the rather LARGE diorama. Below the mock-up pics is a pic of an earlier diorama based on the same concept of environment. It gives you more of an idea of what the design will look like finished.
The Dragon Wagon scene is set in an un-named French town, July/August 1944.

Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 06:26 PM UTC
You truly have eye for architecture! There is a kind of style you donīt see very often! Once again, the palette is perfectly in balance with only the necessary objects displayed.

Btw, some of my prod shots in Diorama forum/Finnish winter war.

Toni
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 07:39 PM UTC
I agree, you do have an eye for this kind of stuff as evident from your background. I can't wait to see that dio finished! Please keep us up-to-date with in-progress shots as you work!

"A Costly Miscalculation" is superb work. The subtle current effects on the trailing sides of the bridge pylons is a nice touch.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 07:50 PM UTC
Hey DGeraths
Kool stuff, very organized and impressive!.
Just wondering, what material is the white "boards" that you build it all up with?
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 08:10 PM UTC
The white board looks kind of very lightweight material known to me as "kapa".
A kind of foam board covered with thin plastic. Very easy to cut in shape. Architects use it to build rough models.
Iīve used it mostly to base photographs and passepartous.

DGeraths may confirm this.

Toni
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 08:17 PM UTC
Very impressive DG! :-) I like the pre-layout idea. I take it there is to be water in the D. Wagon scene.
I can't help but ask - where do you display a finished dio of that size?
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 08:22 PM UTC
Impressive!
Both in it's ruge and detailed itens....
Don't let us without more in progress pics!
Cheers
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 08:48 PM UTC
Nice work! I think it'll be awhile before I attempt a project similar to that. Great work on the collapsed bridge! Is that an sdkfz HANOMAG APC back there? Do you have more pictures of your dios at another website?

YodaMan
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 11:09 PM UTC
Envar,
I think you are correct, that its kapa board (I have bought some in Sweden, just havent found a place for iti in the US) , is this the same thing as "foam board"?
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 11:12 PM UTC
YOdaMan,

Here is more pics
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 11:45 PM UTC
Did DG do all those models? Man! I hope I'm that good someday!!!...And that dio of the Rufe stuck on the beach!!! I'll have to find some good how-to modeling books.

YodaMan
DGeraths
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 11:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey DGeraths
Kool stuff, very organized and impressive!.
Just wondering, what material is the white "boards" that you build it all up with?

It is a foam core board that you can buy at about any art store around. I use it to build the mock up first and then as a measurement study for the finished project.

BTW, I noticed that you do a lot of Native American figures. Very nice. One of my many other hobbies is historical reenacting. Even though my persona is actually a "woodsman" from about 1790 I do have friends who look just like your figures when they come to an event.
It is like walking around on the set of Last of the Mohichans for a weekend. Pretty cool. :-)

Nice work in your gallery!
DGeraths
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 11:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very impressive DG! :-) I like the pre-layout idea. I take it there is to be water in the D. Wagon scene.
I can't help but ask - where do you display a finished dio of that size?

Yes, there will be some water along the bottom foreground in the canal. You can some of my other work by clicking on my profile. I have my gallery linked in there.

Where am I going to display this? That is a VERY good question. I don't really know....
I am a contest builder bigtime and that is what this diorama is being designed and built for. After the contest season it will probably either go into storage or up for sale, one or the other. The only way I would display it at home is if I get a glass case made for it.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 11:58 PM UTC
DG,
I do reeinactments also, I portray a Civil War Cavalry Corpral. We do both North and South engagements! Its a blast. Im in the process of sculpting a 120mm mountain man. You have any pics of you in your out fits? You go to those randevouz (sp?) I have been to a couple, I am really interested in the native american way of life (old times) and their religions. I have even started trying to learn the Cheyenne language! Its hard!!
Thanks for your comments about my gallery, your website shows a great deal of talent, I really like the winter sherman!
Im going to look for the foam core board.
DGeraths
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 12:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Did DG do all those models? Man! I hope I'm that good someday!!!...And that dio of the Rufe stuck on the beach!!! I'll have to find some good how-to modeling books.

YodaMan

Yeppers, I have the exacto knife scars to prove it...

Modeling books out there are scarse and good ones are even more rare. Most of the books I have are kind of outdated in their ideas and techniques. The internet is a far better source of material. There are so many interesting modeling sites out there it would take you months to see it all.
Experimentation is the best teacher though. I find that it is more fun to try and find alternate techniques for things than to follow the old standards. More of a challenge that way
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 01:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeppers, I have the exacto knife scars to prove it...

I'm gonna guess that it's because you used it alot, and not from ignoring the 'do not touch' warning on the knife's package..... Like someone on the site has done. (nameless shall he be)

YodaMan
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 02:14 AM UTC
DG--is this the line of "work" you do? If it is, man have you got it made. Just curious.
DJ :-)
DGeraths
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 02:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DG--is this the line of "work" you do? If it is, man have you got it made. Just curious.

Well, I would not really say that.

When you do your hobby as part of your work, it ceases to be your hobby. That is why when I do build stuff for myself I end up building things like this diorama... big and fancy. It helps me get a little more creative and that way it feels fresh and new; not so much like work.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 03:28 AM UTC
DG,

Welcome to the site and thanks for showing off your stuff! I like your organized workspace!!! I'm a wanna-be in the organization area You have definityl inspired me in a different way of doing dios!! Thanks a million!!
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 05:37 AM UTC
Just wanted to say thats a great idea (to do a mock up first) and that your work is awsome. I really like your work area also. great job!!!
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 07:50 AM UTC
I believe here in the us it's refered to as foam core board. I believe it's covered in a glossy paper. Staples sells it. Search online for foam boards.

Matt
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 07:55 AM UTC
Can hardly wait to see the finished product. Welcome to the site, DG :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 08:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well, I would not really say that.

When you do your hobby as part of your work, it ceases to be your hobby. That is why when I do build stuff for myself I end up building things like this diorama... big and fancy. It helps me get a little more creative and that way it feels fresh and new; not so much like work.

Howdy DG,

And a hearty 'Welcome Aboard' mate! I had the pleasure of visiting your site and I was overwhelmed! Your grasp of detail is phenominal, and your sense of 'scene' is also something to be envied. It was indeed a pleasure to peruse....
I just loved your 'water' made out of the clear acrylic. For once (as compared to some show exhibits I've seen ) it actually looks like WATER. Damn good work DG! I think alot of us here would love to have you share some of your secrets with us. We are a 'sharing' kind of crowd here and anything you could pass on to the masses here would be greeted with 'naught but accolade'.
So wadaya say ?

Tread.
 _GOTOTOP