_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Help on Academy M3 Honey Colors...
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Armorama: 312 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2003 - 05:23 AM UTC
Title says it all. I am doing the British North African tank, and I would love to see any pictures, especially color ones of a tank with the blue-grey color over tan.

Also, what are the best enamel matched for British desert tan and slate grey?

Any help is appreciated greatly so that I might finish this little gem...

Scott
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2003 - 09:28 PM UTC
In enamels, it has to be Humbrol. If they're still in business. When I was a kid, I remember an article on painting early war british armor. If my memory serves me right, the blue was matched from an RAF blue, from the long-defunct colour ranges of humbrol authentic colors. My practical suggestion is to go th MAFVA webside and download the relevant pages of british armor color schemes.However help is at hand if you don't want to use enamels! In the current issue of Euromodelismo, which is a crap spanish mag, someone has done a Marmon-Harrington AC painted in the three tone scheme the color refernces are for Tamiya acrylics: X14, Sky Blue (a bit toned down of course) X59 Desert sand, X52 Earth. and XF23 Light blue (for toning-down/highlighting I would imagine). The general effect is pretty good. I've always loved that 3-tone schemefor some bizarre reason..... All the best, Jim.
PaulHanson
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 02:16 AM UTC
Before you go painting blue of any shade on a desert Honey you might want to read this:

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/bellmanwm_1.htm

PH
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 03:26 AM UTC
Paul
Thanks for posing that link. The article is excellent. I wish I had read it before completing my "Honey". Oh well, it's a good excuse to grab anothe kit and do it right.
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Armorama: 312 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2003 - 05:00 PM UTC
Thanks for all of the help everyone...

_GOTOTOP