Hosted by Darren Baker
F-117 diorama idea
SCUDHunter
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 01:00 AM UTC
I am considering the possibility of doing an aircraft diorama that depicts a F-117 landing (either 1/32 or 1/48) scale. Although I already have the Testors 1/32 scale kit I realize that the Tamiya 1/48 scale kit is by far the best F-117 kit on the market so I will probably convince myself to use that kit if I decide to undergo this project.

As you may know the F-117 deploys a parachute to assist in the deceleration of the aircraft. With that in mind, I pose the following questions:

1. Does anyone know if such a diorama has been done before? I did a quick search on the web but didn’t see anything.
2. How might one go about constructing a parachute (1/32 or 1/48 scale)?
3. Does any know if there are aftermarket parachutes in these scales that could be utilized?

Welcome your thoughts and/or suggestions on this idea.

Regards,

SCUD Hunter

http://www.defenselink.mil/photos/Feb1999/990221-F-0000F-001.html

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 01:06 AM UTC
I saw an article once on how to make sails for ship models that may help. The guy took a balloon and blew it up. Then he took the material he was making the sails out of, be it tissue paper, silk, etc. and cut it to the shape he wanted. He laid it over the inflated balloon and coated it with a mix of white glue and water. I think he did this several times... After the tissue paper dried, he deflated the balloon and had a billowing sail. Might work for you...
The only other thing I could think of would be carving a master and vacuum forming the chute, which would be a huge, expensive pain in the @ss.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 02:18 AM UTC
Couple ideas pop to mind
Go 1/48th it would be easier to get more in with an AC diorama.
You could make a plaster or clay mold if you're going to use tissue paper (good idea by the way). Put a sheet of plastic wrap on the inside so the tissue doesn't stick to the mold. This would give you the ability to but ribs/ridges in the 'chute.
I would use thin hobby wire for the rope/tethers.

I haven't seen any 'chute dioramas. I know Roadkill has tried some cloth/canvas covering types of things (on his fake tank dio). I bet he'd be a good source for what works and doesn't.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 02:52 AM UTC
How about just landed? That would be way easier. Have the chute and the shroud lines lying on the tarmac? Just a thought...
SCUDHunter
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 06:19 AM UTC
Keenan and other,

Thanks for the good ideas and comments. Keep them coming.

I would prefer to have the chute in deployed mode (just seems more dramatic to me). Who knows, if I could pull it off it might be worthy of entering into a show somewhere -- way too early for that.

So far, the idea that Keenan presented sounds plausible. :-)
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 06:46 AM UTC
I'm sitting here wondering how you are going to attach the deployed chute to the back of the plane. Something strong enoght to hold the whole deal up but thin enough not to be obvious... Plexiglass rod?
SCUDHunter
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 08:48 AM UTC
Keenan,

Plexiglass rod, blown glass, piano wire ....

According to the manufacturer, Pioneer Aerospace Corporation, the F-117 uses a 24-foot diameter ribbon parachute. Now to do some research on parachute design/constuction.

Regards,

SCUD Hunter
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 09:26 AM UTC
I have no idea what the chute even looks like, but this conversation took place a long time ago here about building parachutes for paratroopers. I suggest a search for that.

In my vision, the sewing lines on a parachute is quite visible when in full flight. Then each section of material bellowing inside.
I therefore would make the sew lines shape with wire. A few different sizes of circles. Then wires between these. This would make the total sew lines shape. Then I would use the tissue from shoe boxes (the stuff new shoes are stuffed with) and make one section at a time. Add the white glue lightly to the tissue and fix around a section. When it is drying try to slightly bellow that section outwards .... or maybe hanging it up-side-down it will happen naturally. You wouldnt want a huge bellow, but some would look nice. This tissue dries pretty hard. I guess it will take a day for each section. Repeat untill all sections are complete. Then prime and paint!

Hopefully this makes a little sense! I have a picture in my head and maybe cant explain it properly. Ask for an explanation if something is not clear. In theory this might work. I have never tried it though! Good luck
AIRB842586
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 261 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 11:48 AM UTC
In the hobby store nearest my house they sell parachutes. They're fully deployed and have nylon shroud lines which can be easily scraped. I've seen them used for paratroopers, pilots ejecting, and as the brake chute for an SR-71 dio.

For the SR-71, vthe nylon lines were replaced with very thin brass rods which were attached to a much thicker brass rod hidden inside the fuselage.
 _GOTOTOP