France 39
iamheaminot
Visit this Community
Invercargill, New Zealand
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 185 posts
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:58 AM UTC
France 1939.
Base started with lots to do. Probably put a Daimler Dingo Mk 1 with some early war Brit Infantry with a few civilians looking on.

roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 12:58 AM UTC
Rod,

Can you give us some info about this building. Is that a comlete kit?

What do you intend to do with it? As i see the same colour for the wall plaster and the stones, you defintely need to work on this for a start.
The street cobbles are already looking good.

Have fun

Claude
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 01:23 AM UTC
Nice start. I agree, still lots to do so I'm sure there are lots of changes to come.

The ivy is unique and nicely done. It comes off a bit 'toy' like. I would like to see some more texture to it. Maybe crush some herbs and sprinkle them on in place.
I love the door, the color, layers of color, detail etc. Cats in front are really fun.
iamheaminot
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 10:47 AM UTC
Claude n' Scott
Thanks for your coments.
As I mentioned lots to do including painting the stone work, roughcast to bricks et all. The door isn't finished yet as well so it is all a work in progress.
The camera does not always pick up what the eye sees as the vines are in fact herbs and other natural things found in our pantry/kitchen and involve about five various shades of green. Of course the colour values will change further with washes of paint and glazes of matt varnish and pastels. An example being the courtyard cobbles need toned down and blended together with the joints filled with debri and the odd weed [no not cannabis] grass and flower growing here and there. I hope that this will then give an impression of an unkept and not very well looked after house. Chickens yet to be painted, fence and gate to be added etc. etc.

The building is an Italeri Ruined House, cannot remember the kit number, which will have two french civilians standing in front of the doorway on cobblestones.

Here are a couple of pics of the Scout Car Mk 1 [Tamiya Daimler Dingo] - still some stuff to do, add some details, some more painting and add the markings.

This the crew from Ultracast. The leaning figure will be placed leaning on the front of the Scout Car by the cup of char/Bren gun and the other back against a tire or wall.

And lastly are the poor grunts/infantry in early war uniform with gas masks at the ready.
Yes the helmets are on the large side [Tamiya] however I think that they add to the atmosphere of between wars were there was not much change [in looks] to the Tommy from WW1. A mix of ICM WW1 British Infantry and Tamiya British Infantry on patrol. Not all troops received the well known Battledress by 1939. These guys will be placed on the grassed area to the right of the courtyard which has not been done yet

Yet to be decided is the base size and style of base might use some kind of a picture frame or make my own. Might even add a tree or two and some children playing or maybe a French onion seller or postie with their bikes. Or I might toss the lot and come up with another and do something else. Who knows

Whatever this is only the start so don't expect any great results for weeks or months for that matter.

Cheers
Rod
Kawalerzysta
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 02:14 AM UTC
Hi,
Was Dingo painted brush?
It will be good diorama!
iamheaminot
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 08:30 AM UTC
Yes the scout car was brush painted.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 09:32 AM UTC
Rod, Nice idea. The cats are cool, kit or scratch built? I build dio's and fully understand that the idea you start with is not always what you end up with. Looking forward (no matter how long, ha ha) to more picks. Wish I could get my camera program working so I could share w.i.p. on the site but I haven't found the right curses yet.
iamheaminot
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 03:43 PM UTC
Thanks Bob.
Both cats are scratch built. Not the best but they will do
tjkelly
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,132 posts
Armorama: 1,123 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2008 - 02:14 PM UTC
Looking good Rod, nice idea and integration of civilians, troops, a vehicle and animals! Nicely done, looking forward to your progress. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Cheers -
Tim
iamheaminot
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 08:38 PM UTC
A long overdue update
Much to paint yet including - chooks, figgies, shovel, fence, weather the vehicle etc.

enjoy

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 09:04 PM UTC
Looking good Rod. The colours are well chosen and will make for a nice backgound for your figures. The slates on top of each wall, maybe should be another colour (reddish/terracota/brown?) and these would contrast nicely with the concrete colour of the walls as well as frame the scene better. Id also suggest getting a nice base plate and fix this to that, as it appears to have turned up a bit. This will give it a much more professional look and befit whats turning out to be a very nice little scene!
 _GOTOTOP