_GOTOBOTTOM
MAFVA Forum
The official forum for the Miniature AFV Association.
Hosted by Tom Cromwell
Rockets mounted on a 2 1/2 ton truck.
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 622 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 06:20 AM UTC
Hello
I've put myself in for 1 of the campaign's on Armorama & I need some help with reference photo's. I'm looking for some pictures that I can use for buiding a GMC 2 1/2 ton truck with I believe was a set of 8 or 12 Rockets mounted in the cargo area. This might have been a field modification I'm not sure.

I think they were a smaller version of the Callioppe set up. I have seen 1 picture that was supposed to have been taken during the Hurtgen Forest Battles in the winter of 1944. I have had a look on the net but not with much luck. Any help would be great.

Jimmie
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 230 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:48 AM UTC
Hi Shaun,

I have found one photograph on page 133 of GMC, The Universal Truck, Boniface & Jeudy, Warne. It shows A Bty 18th Field Artillery Bn, Ist US Army, 26th November 1944 in the Hurtgen Forest.
It mounts the T27 114.3mm (4.5inch) double rocket launchers. These are two seperate units firing to the left of the GMC and loaded over the right side.
The nearest GMC has a .50cal on a skate rail over the cab, I think they are hard cabs, definitely CCKW 353s. with two spare wheels behind the cab (See plan in ancient Tankette).
By referring to the Factfile on Mortars and Rockets , Chamberlain & Gander, Macdonald & Janes. the T27 carried 8 rockets, no traverse, but elevation from -5 to +45 degrees. M6 telescope T100 mount were used. This book also has good photos of the T100 mount and the hand generator and firing switch.

HTH

Paul M.
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 622 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 06:34 AM UTC
Hi Paul
Any chance you could send me a copy of what you've managed to find. I've only got a picture from the old war machine magazine's from the 80's.
Cheers
Shaun
 _GOTOTOP