_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-34 grab handles
IvanHoe
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 03:26 AM UTC
I am working on a Tamiya T-34/76 Model 1943 (I know, not the best model) and need to ask a quick question regarding the grab handles. I have seen two different types used on the T-34; 1)Simple rod with rounded corners (bent) then welded to the hull or turret. 2)A bit more elaborate handle with a straight rod protruding through two standoff brackets (a bit harder to scratch build). Question is were the two types ever seen at the same time on a T-34, beyond the occasional battle-damaged rebuilds?

Type 1 seems to be the most prevalent, seen on the earlier models as well as the T-34/85. The second type I have only seen so far on the Model 1943 (Model 1943 with cupola seem to be mixed with both styles used).
IvanHoe
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 07:48 AM UTC
Must have stumped you all!

I just found this picture that shows mixing of the two styles, but in reading a bit more about this recovery, I think it may have been a repaired tank with a different turret.

http://www.hot.ee/t96tank/pictures/hjkhjk.jpg
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2003 - 01:24 AM UTC
IvanHoe--I don't know for sure, but my educated guess is no. A rebuild would probably be the only place that you would find such an arrangement. I'm guessing that a factory would only do it one way and every vehicle they produced would go out with grab handles done in that way.

The second type was used a lot on the T-34 based SPA (SU-122) & TD (SU-85 & SU-100) vehicles as well as late T-34/76s and T-34/85s.
IvanHoe
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2003 - 02:22 AM UTC
Adam,

After researching a bit more last night, I do believe you are correct. The grab rail types are factory specific. Now I just need to find some more info to find what factory produced the 1943 model hard-edge turrets.
Lis
Visit this Community
Russia
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 05:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am working on a Tamiya T-34/76 Model 1943 (I know, not the best model) and need to ask a quick question regarding the grab handles. I have seen two different types used on the T-34; 1)Simple rod with rounded corners (bent) then welded to the hull or turret. 2)A bit more elaborate handle with a straight rod protruding through two standoff brackets (a bit harder to scratch build). Question is were the two types ever seen at the same time on a T-34, beyond the occasional battle-damaged rebuilds?

Type 1 seems to be the most prevalent, seen on the earlier models as well as the T-34/85. The second type I have only seen so far on the Model 1943 (Model 1943 with cupola seem to be mixed with both styles used).

Looked my references and can give you some comments.
All depends on the type of tank you want to build, the year of production and the plant... The 1-st type handles first appears at plant#112 produced tanks somewhere in the middle summer 1942. That time it was the only plant making the 34-s with such a handles. Others had none. The 2-nd type handles first appears at the end of October 1942 at the Chelyabihsk-made tanks -- the same type as used at KV family tanks made at the same plant...
What's about repairment? Mostly you can see the one style handles at the hull and another ones at the turret... It's a sign of complete rebuild tank -- at the repair plants they stripped completely and then assembled from the mixtyre. If you mean the field repairment -- they just cutted off damaged handles by the torch...

Best regards.
Lis
IvanHoe
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 06:41 AM UTC
Excellent info, Lis! I do appreciate it.
 _GOTOTOP