_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
P-40 longtrack queston
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 02:30 AM UTC
hello All,

I have a question regarding the radar on the P-40 longtrack. Is it a stationary radar, one that is put in a certain position and does its job, or is it the type that spins around continiously? And if so, how fast does it turn. I have ordered the kit from Panzershop (I got some money back from my taxes and I have to spend it before they change their mind )and I want to motorize the radar and put some LED's in it. I cannot find any movie of it on the net, does anybody havae a source for me?

Cheers,

Matthijs
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 04:17 AM UTC
Well, I cannot find video of a P-40 either, (look up video for the SA-4, SA-6, and SA-8 systems and you might catch a look at one, but I could not find one).

My best guess is that it rotated at a 1-2 second revolution rate. This is based on other systems at the time. The P-40 appears to be a rotational system, rather than a fixed system like the "Thin Skin" radar.

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 04:24 AM UTC
Well, I did find something marginally usefull over at YouTube It is the History of Soviet Air Defence, somewhat. But radar revolution for such a large radar set ont eh P-40 may be significantly SLOWER than I thought, with a revolution rate of 10 seconds or slower.

Take a look, see what you think.
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 08:16 AM UTC
thanks Jacques,

I could also not find anything of this thing on youtube, but found a funny video containing 1 drunk soldier, 1 Tunguska, 1 house and a few angry village people

I found only one hint on a radar website that the revolution is once every 4-5 seconds

http://www.radartutorial.eu/19.kartei/karte912.en.html

Reading the info on the site they say it was used for target assignment for AA units which makes it logical that it would be rotational like you mentioned

Cheers,

Matthijs

PS:
searching for "1S12 radar" on youtube lead me to some Britney Spears videos

I am glad is does not turn so quick, I would have photo etch flying through the room
thompyt
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 - 10:19 AM UTC
hi,
The P40 was/is like a Divisional radar. The Thinskin connects to it ti give it Height finding data. I have operated both systems. There are 8 stages of power with 2 bands of 2 frequencies. A very powerful radar. I think i might have a short vid on my cell phone. >I have tried to view it on my computer with no luck. if you are concerned about the antenna rotation....@33 rpm - slow speed 66 for fast. if i remember correctly. It can rotate in either direction depending on how you connect the phases.

T

added a photo of my system in my gallery.

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 - 03:23 PM UTC
Nice photo and thanks for the info. Any more pictures? Is this the system they have/had at Nellis?
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 06:11 AM UTC
my journey on Google has brought me to this site:

http://www.flak11.de/RBS-40.htm

it's in german but is says 12/18 rpm

this site:

http://www.nva-futt.de/index.html?http://www.nva-futt.de/besonderheiten/technik/tta/p-40.html

says 12/16 rpm

I guess until we see some real film of the thing in operation it will be a guess...
thompyt
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 06:08 AM UTC
This one was taken elsewhere. Nothing to do with Elils. Sorry for the slow reply. had a bang up on my bike. I have a few more pics I will attempt to upload later.
thompyt
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 - 04:06 AM UTC
Gentlemen,
Isit at my desk corrected. I viewed the litle vid on my phone and the normal rotational speed is about 4 seconds per. Normal speed. Fast speed makes the whole system rock back and forth. Geuss I'll learn better than quoting from memory.......

Adding more photos to my gallery.

Quoted Text

hi,
The P40 was/is like a Divisional radar. The Thinskin connects to it ti give it Height finding data. I have operated both systems. There are 8 stages of power with 2 bands of 2 frequencies. A very powerful radar. I think i might have a short vid on my cell phone. >I have tried to view it on my computer with no luck. if you are concerned about the antenna rotation....@33 rpm - slow speed 66 for fast. if i remember correctly. It can rotate in either direction depending on how you connect the phases.

T

added a photo of my system in my gallery.

thompyt
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 - 04:23 AM UTC

_GOTOTOP