Supermodel Autoblindo AB 41 WIP 1/48
alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
Armorama: 264 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 05:00 AM UTC
Hi all

this is my AB 41 from Italeri (Supermodel). The construction was straight forward tho the fit was not so good in some places and the upper chassis had some tricky fittings.

The body was primed black, the turret not. Then it got a coat of XF59 as I could not get MM 2110. I then sprayed on a layer of Klear for the decals and washings.

The decals were very good, but I had some cuts to do to make them fit in some places. I also repainted some areas white (which has to be cleaned up on the upper front). The number plate for the front fender is too large and I screwed it up while trying to fix that. I will probably cover it with dirt and dust. Another loss is the 15 on the port side .. it folded over when I tried to move it a little aft --- sadly I already had Daco Red on ... I will try to find a replacement.

This is what it looks now. Remember it is WIP.

comments welcome

cheers

Steffen
biffa
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 881 posts
Armorama: 826 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 08:28 AM UTC
Looking nice steffen especially for 1/48 i look forward to seeing some weathering on it

Ron.
alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 11:56 PM UTC
Thank you Ron!

today I post some pix after some oil washes. The lighting conditions are pretty different, which makes the pix hard to compare. I added an over all "filterwash" of burnt Sienna. Then I added a warm Grey and some white to filter exposed areas (roof top/ front) . For some deeper shadows I used black. The contrast is pretty harsh now, but the flat coat and some pigments will even that out. Then I did a drybrushing with the base colour Desert Yellow and some Buff.

I am not quite satisfied with the colour of the front glacis (between the flags) .. maybe I'll redo that (maybe the colour layer was not opaque enough and too much black is showing through? )

(sorry for the blurry pix, but as its about colour at the moment I think I can get away with it )

again: comments very welcome!

best wishes

Steffen
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 767 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 03:13 AM UTC
Lookin' good!

(Wish it was available without the CR42)
alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 07:07 AM UTC
Me too ... would buy another one or two. Lets hope italeri continues like in 1/35 .. I like the look of the Sahariana

another desert vehicle in progress:

cheers

Steffen
FLiPSiDE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 75 posts
Armorama: 72 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 07:16 AM UTC
Nice job, I was excited to see that kit released and now especially that I've seen it built and posted in these forums. I'm working on the 1/72 AB41 right now. I know the fit isn't that great but personally I'm just happy to have an AB41 represented in these smaller scales.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 12:44 AM UTC
Great finish!

I think the gun looks a bit strange though, too big in diameter and too short in length maybe?

Cheers,

Christophe
alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 01:47 AM UTC
Hi Christphe

thank you for the kind comment. It is really hard to tell because I do not know the exact measures.
considering this pic (de.wikipedia)

I do not think so, but when I see this (en.wikipedia)

it seems so. Sadly I cannot take pictures that look exactly like the real vehicle, because the camera will distort the image other than it would the real thing. Also remember the the turret is turned a few degrees to the left in the pix of the model.

cheers

Steffen
alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 03:27 AM UTC
Hi again

Phil sorry I must have missed our post. Thank you too for your encouragement .. did I mention I normally build aircraft

I let the oils dry for a day and sprayed it flat then. Today I started to add pigments. As I am not a pro with this material yet, I will have to see how it turns out, when its dry. Mostly I have to take a brush and remove some of the pigments. I used the Sand and Dust set and the rust and sooth set for the exhaust. Here is how it looks wet (nothing much to see actually

cheers

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP