_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
DAR's NZLAV (LAVIII)
DAR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 250 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 - 08:15 AM UTC
This a very comprehensive resin and p.e. set made by Real Model, it's intended the the AFV Club M1126 Stryker kit.

I wanted to join the hull halves together before fitting any of the suspension parts (with my ham fists I couldn't see them lasting long if they were fitted first)

The rear hull plate E1 requires some adapting (same job as Andy had to do for his Canadian LAV III)

This is where things stand at present, I'll be starting on the suspension next

Tankleader
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 718 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 - 08:37 AM UTC
Looking Good, it looks like we are going to have a contest to see who get's done first. I started on the first page of the photo ectch lastnight. I have the brackets for the stowage box almost done. I will need to glue a couple of other items.

Tanks
Andy
DAR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 - 08:59 AM UTC
Slow up mate, I've not even started to think about the photo etch yet

Thanks for the comments Andy.
DAR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 05:54 AM UTC
The suspension is finished, a few parts to glue to the upper hull and then it's time to start on some of the photo etch.

Tankleader
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 08:20 AM UTC
Looking Good so far....

Tanks
Andy
DAR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 12:16 PM UTC
Well the updates have slowed to a crawl, this is due to my children finishing school for the summer holidays. I have managed to add some detail to the upper hull, I had hoped to have started on some of the photo etch by now. Maybe tomorrow.

DAR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 08:11 AM UTC
Started working with some of the photo etch over the last couple of days:

Now I need to go and have a lie down, I'm all but ready for the whacky shack.
DAR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 01:00 AM UTC
After an enforced break, it's back to the bench. Some more p.e has been assembled

DAR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 10:19 PM UTC

seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 10:38 PM UTC
look good
Cheers
Seb
Tankleader
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 12:34 AM UTC
Looking good, are you going to get the TUA as well?

Tanks
Andy
DAR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 01:10 AM UTC
Thanks guys.
Yes the TUA is on my wish list too, looks like another winner from Miloslav.
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Armorama: 1,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 04:26 PM UTC
Nice work David.

How have you found the intructions to work with ?

Paul
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 438 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 07:32 PM UTC
Looks very good, can I ask what you are using as a reference. The PE looks very impressive.
DAR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 07:52 PM UTC
Thanks Paul.
The instructions could be improved, some of the p.e. parts are not even mentioned on the sheets.
In combination with some photo references on Prime Portal and a little deduction, I'm hoping that I'll be able to sort out the remaining parts.
I've not started any serious work on the turret, but it has been mentioned that the fit of the baskets might be a bit of a problem.

I've enjoyed it so far and also plan to buy the Canadian version - but after this one's finished the next build will be either my MH ASLAV 25 or APC.
DAR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 07:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks very good, can I ask what you are using as a reference. The PE looks very impressive.

Hi Thomo, thanks for the comments.
My main reference has been the series of pictures on Prime Portal posted by Jeremy Wee.
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 07:59 PM UTC
The Real Model stuff looks really cool David. That NZLAV you're doing is tempting. I find that quite a few AM conversions have instructions that are difficult to follow unless you REALLY know the vehicle in question personally.

From what I hear Real Model are doing a 'Coyote' soon also ???

You may be interested to know that MH are doing some new ASLAV accessories soon, including some proper ASLAV Phase III bits - so that'll be great.

I'll be doing the APC after the '25' I'm doing ATM.

Paul
DAR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 08:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Real Model stuff looks really cool David. That NZLAV you're doing is tempting. I find that quite a few AM conversions have instructions that are difficult to follow unless you REALLY know the vehicle in question personally.

From what I hear Real Model are doing a 'Coyote' soon also.

You may be interested to know that MH are doing some new ASLAV accessories soon, including some proper ASLAV Phase III bits - so that'll be great.

Paul

You definitely need your references mate. But don't get me wrong, it's a great set.

Good news about the MH new releases. I've been watching the ASLAV thread that you're posting on, nice start on your 25. I've got as far as fitting the new engine deck but that's about it.
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 08:35 PM UTC
Quoted Text

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You definitely need your references mate. But don't get me wrong, it's a great set.

Good news about the MH new releases. I've been watching the ASLAV thread that you're posting on, nice start on your 25. I've got as far as fitting the new engine deck but that's about it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David,

The Resin castings on your NZLAV look quite crisp and from what I hear the Real Model stuff is Top Notch.

I'll be following your progress on this one - it looks awesome.

Ray, Bill, and Jason have been great on the ASLAV thread, there's so much info required to do these kits accurately that isn't readily available (even on the web) , especially if the donor bits need a fair bit of rework (as you've seen on the Trumpeter LAV).

The beauty of your conversion is that the bulk of it (I imagine) comes from Real Model. I guess you'd want that for the price.

Cheers,

Paul

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 10:21 PM UTC
Really interesting variant. It's amazing the number of versions that derive from the LAV III / Stryker base !
I can't figure the differences from a NZ LAV to a Canadian or an Australian LAV ! I think I should get some references !!

Keep on posting
Olivier
DAR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 11:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

David,

The Resin castings on your NZLAV look quite crisp and from what I hear the Real Model stuff is Top Notch.

I'll be following your progress on this one - it looks awesome.

Ray, Bill, and Jason have been great on the ASLAV thread, there's so much info required to do these kits accurately that isn't readily available (even on the web) , especially if the donor bits need a fair bit of rework (as you've seen on the Trumpeter LAV).

The beauty of your conversion is that the bulk of it (I imagine) comes from Real Model. I guess you'd want that for the price.

Cheers,

Paul

It's not cheap, but it's a very comprehensive conversion.
I'm usually adding p.e. on a daily basis, but some of the parts are so small they wouldn't show up very clearly in my update pictures.

Thanks again.
DAR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 12:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Really interesting variant. It's amazing the number of versions that derive from the LAV III / Stryker base !
I can't figure the differences from a NZ LAV to a Canadian or an Australian LAV ! I think I should get some references !!

Keep on posting
Olivier

Thanks Olivier.
I'm not an expert on the subject but I believe that the NZLAV and Canadian LAV III are essentially one and the same. The Aussie LAV is a completely different vehicle and is a derivative of the US Marines LAV.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 01:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Keep on posting
Olivier

Thanks Olivier.
I'm not an expert on the subject but I believe that the NZLAV and Canadian LAV III are essentially one and the same. The Aussie LAV is a completely different vehicle and is a derivative of the US Marines LAV.

Yup the ASLAV 25 when compared to the NZLAV and LAV III are very different....completely different hull.....in size and role......the turret are structurally the same.

The NZLAV has an engine deck the same as the Stryker while the LAV III's engine deck and exhaust is different.
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 438 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:05 PM UTC
David

I have e-mailed those pictures to you. Hopefully they come through alright.
bulivyf
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 2,450 posts
Armorama: 2,409 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

From what I hear Real Model are doing a 'Coyote' soon also ???

Paul

Paul,

Now I finished resin parts for ELAV.
I also started Coyote with add-on armor from Afghanistan and ASLAV - 25.
I like 8 - wheels vehicles
Miloslav

_GOTOTOP