_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Help Epoxy Putty Nightmares
WarMaker
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 07:02 PM UTC
Hey I am reading Painting waffen SS figures by Calvin Tan. In the book ther are two different chapters were he works and remodeles stock figures.He goes about this by thinly rolling out sheets of putty, When I try to work with the putty it sticks to my fingers and lets just say it becomes a mess, I am wondering if anybody knows how to acheive this and as well how to work with the putty in a way this will not happen, I am working on my fist dio, and there are some extras that need a little work Straps rips in the pants,ETC I know ther is no one answer but ANY advice on working with epoxy putty would be great THANX,
tackleberry
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 07:09 PM UTC
Hi,

you have to use talcum powder, so it doesn't stick to your fingers. you can roll it with a small tube, but always use talcum (baby) powder.

exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 07:36 PM UTC
Yes talcum powder works. It's the same as rolling out pastry. Sprinkle down a little talcum powder roll out the putty, turn it over and roll it again. I have also used fine flour when I didn't have talcum powder,
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 07:59 PM UTC
Hey Damon have you tried to use water for dipping the tools into before each alteration? I do some sculpting and find that you can add plenty of water and get most of your basic shape with your fingers, and then refine it with a water dipped tool. What is the brand of putty?
Brad
WarMaker
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:33 AM UTC
The Brand Of putty Is Tamiya, It comes in a small box with the two strips of putty inside.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 11:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Brand Of putty Is Tamiya, It comes in a small box with the two strips of putty inside.

That's one of the pricier brands. See if you can find Milliput $7.00 for 4 ounces or a quarter pound of Apoxie Sculpt has an MSRP of $8.00 and can be had for under $7.00.
 _GOTOTOP