Hosted by Darren Baker
Red Building Bricks ?
WarMaker
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 08:16 AM UTC
The red building bricks common to most building, I was wondering if the bricks back during the war had the usuall 3 holes in the middle of the brick, or if they were just a full red brick without holes. I live in a house that was built 1938 and the bricks used to build the house are of both kinds, one with the holes and one without.. I want to be as accurate as possible, this is my first dio and i am making sure everything is as it should. I have asked around but no answers so i thought i would try the one place i could count on.
perlossing
Visit this Community
Kristianstads, Sweden
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 09:38 AM UTC
Hi

Simple said so is brick before 1900 full and after that brick’s has three or more holes.
This is not the entire truth for it depends also on which brick custom who done the brick.
They recycled old brick to new houses.
Summarized, does as you want to.

good luck.
WarMaker
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 01:50 PM UTC
Re(Perlossing) Thank you for a quick to the point reply, Like i said , i talked to people before but i wanted a persons opion that lived in europe, thak you very much. As well I had seen your Dio the one with the german hanging once before and i loved it, but i could never find it again and then you anwsered my question and i checked out your photos , i am glad i did, good work.
perlossing
Visit this Community
Kristianstads, Sweden
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 09:06 AM UTC
Thank a lot Damon.
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 09:38 PM UTC
It depends how old the house is you want to model, and where. Bricks with lightening holes became common during the 1930s so it's possible that a house could be built of them and then knocked down during the war (bit of a pisser for the owner, though). But the vast majority of buildings all through Europe would have been much older and would have been made with traditional solid bricks. These aren't pure rectangles, though. Most have a roof-shaped indentation in one face called a frog, which is where the bulk of the mortar goes and helps to bond courses together. I'm afraid I'm not too sure how widely they were used - certainly heaps of them in the UK, but I'm not hugely familiar with continental techniques.

Then there's other questions: colour; finish (glazed? over-fired?); proportions (not all bricks are the same size); machine-made, hand-made, something else?; pointing technique. I hate to say it, but best check the area you're intending to model, to see what the prevailing style was.

And you may want to bear in mind that bricks on the outsides of buildings would have been seriously discoloured by exposure to coal smoke, as would any making up the chimney breast. In London, for example, many older buildings are effectively black, but the bricks when cleaned come out sand-coloured. This means that a collapsed building would show a lot of bricks with one face darker than the rest; and any that had broken would have the inside even less discoloured than the rest.
 _GOTOTOP