_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
My first Winter Camo Scheme
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 454 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 04:49 AM UTC
I have never done a winter camo scheme for 1/35 scale tanks... I have done 3-4 AFV's tho. I have the Tamiya t34/85 tank, and desire this to be a winter camo finish, and info/links would be great!, I use primarly Tamiya and Acryl paints. Thanx in advance.

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 05:15 AM UTC
Here is a link straight from Tamiya. Looks pretty neat. I may try it myself... There was a good article in a recent FSM about using a slurry made out of pastels. I'll check when I get home for the issue number...

Whitewash Link
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 03:43 PM UTC
I tried the whitewash using pastels (from the FSM article). It didn't go as well as I had hoped. The article says to mix about a teaspoon of white chalk pastel with enough water to make it the consistency of model paint. Slap it on using no particular technique. BE CAREFUL when it dries, the stuff flakes off like crazy, getting white chalk all over the place. Then use a stiff brush to rub off the chalk in high wear areas. (that is the gist of the article). The great thing is if it doesn't come out the way you like, run it under water, washes right off. Personnaly, I choose to just thin down some Tamiya or Testors acrylic paint, and use a brush that I have butchered the bristles on (they are really short) and just kind of brush it on paying no attention to brush strokes. For German armor (at least the photos I have seen in Panzer Colors) they used everything from paint brushes, spray guns to brooms and tree branches to put the "white wash" on. So I just keep putting it on (after each coat dries of course) until I am satisfied with the results. Then go back and dry brush the high wear area with the base color. I'm working on a Sherman that I'm going to do winter camo on, this time I'm gonna give the 'ol airbrush a try. Good luck.

Jason
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 06:38 PM UTC
Chris Mrosko has an interesting winter technique. It can be found in "Panzer's Tactics" published by 'Letterman Publications' (VLS). The only downside is that the 'undercoat' is the normal scheme. In effect, the model is painted twice. That said, the method sure makes the tank look good.(if you like cold).
capnjock
 _GOTOTOP