_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
AFV Club - Churchill 3 Image Report
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 10:52 PM UTC
AFV Club have just sent us a substantial number of images of AF35153 - Churchill Mk.3. The photo-report on this long-awaited model can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 04:08 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the pics and the head up. Do you know if ti will have any kind of basic interior?

Looking forward to this one

Al
PzrJager
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 09:12 AM UTC
Do you know if they will be releasing a Dieppe Version with the deep wading trunks and exhaust, and Decals for the Calgary Tanks? Anyone?

John
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Decals for the Calgary Tanks?

Keep an eye on the News Section for some future releases from Echelon. I can't guarantee they'll be doing these, but Lawrence IS doing at least one set of Churchill markings.

Dieppe versions (and others) will doubtless be in the pipeline. As they say, watch this space...
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 01:43 PM UTC
Dieppe was such an important event...iv always wanted to do a build to commemorate it ...this is wonderful
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 02:43 AM UTC
Great news, thanks for the heads up!

This looks like it's going to be a nice kit, and I just bought the Tamiya kit, doh!
alloy barrel looks like a nice touch, as do the suspension springs.

I imagine AFV club will treat this like their centurion kits and once they have a basic kit sorted, produce numerous variants and versions.

Personally i'm hoping for a close support version with a hull mounted howitzer and North Irish Horse markings for Italy.
Hint hint Mr. AFV club!

Cheers,

James

markhall
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 02:57 AM UTC
hopefully this will encourage tamiya to produce a new 1/35 scale version of the Crusader
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 03:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hopefully this will encourage tamiya to produce a new 1/35 scale version of the Crusader

Why would they want to do that exactly? If they want to issue one in 1/35th, they'll simply use their commercial agreement with Italeri and re-box theirs. Manufacturers see models simply in terms of 'Units Sold' - a company like Tamiya has no interest in re-doing any of their existing products. They see it simply in terms of product X is available, therefore, why add to it?...

If more evidence is needed, just bear in mind that AFV Club's Churchill is the first of this AFV in 30+ years Tamiya had more than 3 decades to issue more variants or update their VII did they do it?
markhall
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 03:32 AM UTC
one reason is they have produced a 1/48 scale version of the crusader and they have done the same to 1/48scale tanks by produced a 1/35 scale version from a 1/48 scale kit ie hetzer before and second is it is allied need i say more
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:46 AM UTC
Wouldn't it be cool to do a postwar Irish Churchill? I doubt the kit comes with an Irish decal option. Still, I guess I could do one, by printing my own decals, if I can find a photo for reference. Unless the Irish modified their tanks with some kind of unobtainable accessories.
Can't you just imagine this behemoth, growling and clanking its way across the quiet Irish countryside?
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 09:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wouldn't it be cool to do a postwar Irish Churchill?

At the moment, you'd have to use Tamiya's Churchill VII. I'm not even sure that the Irish Army didn't use an even LATER mark - any info?

The reason the Mark III is so useful, is that the hull is narrower than the VII which gives FAR more conversion potential. It's also going to be easier for AFV Club to produce more variants without major re-tooling.
markhall
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 09:27 PM UTC
the mk111 i would like to build is with the 75mm gun and extra armour on the front turret as the picture in the book MR CHURCHILL'S TANK also hoping they will include in one of the churchill marks they may produce one with the mk2 cupola
Mobious
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 210 posts
Armorama: 126 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 - 05:52 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing the pics, Looks like it is up to the AFV Club std. of OOTB detail. The coil springs are a nice addition. Glad to see the new offering from AFV Club
rinaldi119
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 282 posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Why would they want to do that exactly? If they want to issue one in 1/35th, they'll simply use their commercial agreement with Italeri and re-box theirs. Manufacturers see models simply in terms of 'Units Sold' - a company like Tamiya has no interest in re-doing any of their existing products. They see it simply in terms of product X is available, therefore, why add to it?...

Um, someone is forgetting the new Hetzer and Blitz truck kits. Both of which are older reboxed Italeri kits seen in the Tamiya lineup (albeit Japanese release only I believe), and now new tool 1/35 Tamiya kits of each have been released. The Tamiya-Italeri relationship is an interesting one, but doubt the rules they play by will prevent a Crusader series in 1/35 from Tamiya if they are so inclined.

As for the new Churchill, it could not get here soon enough.

Best,

Mike
 _GOTOTOP