_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
T49 type tracks on M10 TD chassis
panzerman
Visit this Community
Poland
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 08:02 PM UTC
Hi there,
I just wanted to know, guys, how common for M10 TD’s was usage of T49 steel cleat tracks on their chassis? I heard somewhere that these tracks were mostly common for late war British and Free French Army Shermans and vehicles on Sherman chassis. Am I allowed to put these tracks on my Academy kit #1393 M10 TD planned to be finished in U.S. Army markings or not?
Thanks for any help,
Regards,
Peter
:-)
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 10:09 PM UTC
Well, Peter, you can do it...but the model will be slightly unusual for it. Most pictures of the M10 family I have seen show either T48 rubber chevron or T51 rubber block tracks in US service. The Commonwealth vehicles show predominantly the T62 British steel shevron track. But do what suits you...as ALL these tracks were interchangable, any of them could have been installed. Certainly an enterprising crew could have stripped a knocked-out vehicle of its track and made an exchange on their own. Tough job, but not impossible. And given the vast nature of the American logistic effort and attendant screw-ups, tracks meant for one unit certainly ended up somewhere else and were utilized no matter the official policy or preference. HTH.
Greg
panzerman
Visit this Community
Poland
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 10:33 PM UTC
Thanks for help, Greg n/t
 _GOTOTOP