_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
South Ossetian Armor?
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2008 - 02:06 PM UTC
I saw a BMP on the Fox News Channel today with South Ossetia's white, red and yellow flag painted on the turret. Unfortunately, I can't find any photos of any of their vehicles on the net. Does anyone know where some might be found?
Also, I found a web page, with some information about the (prewar) armed forces of Abkhazia, Georgia and South Ossetia, as well as some other countries in the region, if anyone here is interested:

http://acturca.wordpress.com/2007/02/13/militarization-in-the-greater-caucasus-could-have-dangerous-consequences/
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,114 posts
Armorama: 900 posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2008 - 04:35 PM UTC
You may have a tough time finding what you need. I worked in Georgia around a decade ago, so if memory recalls correctly, trips out of Tbilisi and up to Zugdidi,Samegrelo province and Ossetia saw mostly APCs belonging to Russian Peace Keeping Forces along the borders and check points, that I'm sure of as the soldiers wore Russian uniforms and insignias,they would stand in the centre of the road with their AK-47s and wave us aside and with a strong Russian accent say "cigarette puzhalsta" -- cigarettes please!
I did see some BMPs,BTRs and T-72s but I could not make out whether they belong to the Ossetians or Russians, they mostly had numeric markings. At that time, Ossetia had more of a militia than a regular army, and whatever markings on their AFVs would be as you saw- very little.
Sorry can't help you much.
 _GOTOTOP