_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M2A2 OIF w/ERA
razorblade1975
Visit this Community
Gyeonggi-do, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 08:03 PM UTC
This is my first works for modeling. Before, I just watching website but never made.
I used Academy's M2A2 OIF and other accessories like below :

1. Academy M2A2 OIF Bradley
2. Blast Models M2A2 ERA
3. Blast Models M2/3 A2 New Tracks and Wheel Set
4. Eduards M2A2 OIF (for Academy)
5. Friul "Big Foot" Track
6. Barrel Depot M242 Bushmaster Gun (New Type)

I know there're lots of errors or missing. But this is my first work and I did my best effort.

f1matt
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
Armorama: 805 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 08:18 PM UTC
Nicely done. And as long as you had some fun that's all that really matters.

-Matt
razorblade1975
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 08:36 PM UTC
These are pictures of in process.
Tamiya/Academy Kits are basically same kit. So they has same problem and errors.
Most of errors, I had to make it with scratch or photo etching parts.

Blast Models' wheel are amazing and ERA are very smart. I was impressed with its headlights because it's a hard work to me if I had to make it by my hands.

First I used AFV Club's Big Foot Tracks. But I replaced it to Friul's One.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 08:52 PM UTC
Looks pretty good. Some glaring errors though. There is lots of visible glue slop around the resin pieces. The left front turn signal has red paint slopped off the actual lens. Also, the front turn signals should be amber, not red. There are still some mold seam lines on parts such as the supplemental sight arm on top of the turret. Antennas and their bases should be dark green, not sand. The small antenna on the right rear sponson box should not have a whip antenna on it. It is a short digital antenna and should be left as is in the kit. The new rear turret basket looks too tall too.

You say this is your first kit. Good job on it, I applaud your efforts, but it has quite a few basic mistakes. Maybe focus on building a few kits well out of the box before tackling all the PE, resin extras, and scratch parts that you tried with this one. Obviously you have talent. Keep up the good work, but work on the basic a bit first.
marsiascout
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,247 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:52 PM UTC
Amazing work for your first one! Some details arenīt painted well and you see many glue spots. But for your first work itīs fantastic!

But it's smarter for your first couple of models don't buying all that aftermarketsets. It's better when youb start with kits only and eventually if you want buy AM sets.

Lars
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 761 posts
Armorama: 455 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 12:35 AM UTC
Considering this is your first effort, great job. To use aftermarket parts too, I applaude you. Even with the "glaring mistakes", you' ve accomplished more than some who've built models for years. Some modelers still have sucky paint jobs like on their figures and such, and they've been doing it forever...
Keep up the effort. From where you've started, I can assure you'll catch up in no time.
razorblade1975
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 05:10 PM UTC
To f1matt, HeavyArty, marsiascout, sopmod6,

Thank you for your encouragement.

I started watching website for military modeling from 2005, but I coudn't make any kits but I bought some kit. my high school season on 1991, there was the first Korean modeling magazine in Korea. (That was made by Douglas Lee). I was a fan of that magazine but because of problem of entrance examination like other Korean, I just read and read but couldn't made kits. (I think the only I made was Merkava II from Academy)

Recently, I bought and made a few kit after finished M2A2 Bradley OIF w/ERA. Bradley is my best favorite vehicle so I tried my best effort to it. This kit was first made on 1985. So the base is not good. Now I making Dragon's 3536 M1A2 SEP to M1A2 TUSK. It was really amazing because I didn't know how its mold technology developed. I also AFV Club's Stryker kit and it also amazing kit.

Influence of Internet website like Armorama, Missing-Lynx, MMZone (Korea), I watched lots of good works and impressed by that. I didn't made OOTB works yet but I'll try. I also feel I have different eyes and hands. That mean, my viewpoint is very high but my skill is a not yet.

Like your advice, I'll try to make my basic skill to modelling. Thank you.
ryally
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 879 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 07:53 PM UTC
I think you have done a nice job and its good to see someone trying new types of material like PE for the first time. Well done and if you don't try you don't learn. Mistakes and all I like it, I look forward to seeing your next kit.

Ryally
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 02:45 PM UTC
Wow! Wish my first model had turned out that well. Or my tenth, "glaring errors" or not.
Most of those things can be fixed-it's not like you've glud something on backwards.

The good things you've done are VERY good. The scratchbuildng, and attention to detail such as the rear plate and the split armor plates, are very are impressive.

Yes, the lens could've been painting a litle more cleanly, but I say this as I look on a 22 inch monitor. The wheels are very well painted, something even veteran modelers havs a problem with sometimes. And your decals, although few, are flawlessly applied. No need to "blame it on the lighting" with these.

Keep at it and you''ll be producing showstoppers before long.

One suggestion: If you're going to invest the time and money that you obviously did on this model, you may want to look into MV lenses. They'll greatly improve the look of the headlights.

And by the way, althought the antennae should be green, the antennae bases are fine, indeed correct, in sand, at least as on all of the current crop of Bradleys used in country by 3 ACR. Note the three different antennae here:

razorblade1975
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 10:33 PM UTC
dear ryally,

Thank you for your encouragement.

Because it was my first works after I stopped making models on 1992, I tried my best to make my first model.
Like your advice I'll try lots of models with OOTB for basic skills.

Thank you.
razorblade1975
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 10:47 PM UTC
Dear 18Bravo,

Thank you for your encouragement and good information.

When I make this model, I searched lots of website like primportal but your photos are new to me.
I spent about 22 days for real working days. Usually, When I returned home from my office, I worked to this models from 12:00am to 3:00am. It was late night and It was very hard. So I started this model on May, 2007 but finished on Feb. 2008.

First I hope to make M2A3. But I just had few informations. So during my progress, I changed it to M2A2 (I think I made M2A2 Late Version)

Because All Bradley Kit has lots of errors so I have to make lots of scratchbuildings. But I hope to release NEW bradley kit like Dragon. I was impressed Dragon's M1A2 SEP. And I heard a rumor that a Korean aftermarket brand(famous to oversea) make a super detail up set for M2A2 Bradley(for Tamiya) to current IRAQ spec.

And if you have good source for M2A3 Bradley, please let me know (website, books, etc) I have a future plan with M2A2 Super Detail Up set to make M2A3.

Thank you
Damage_Inc
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 38 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 07:17 AM UTC
Excellent work. Thanks for posting it for us to see - good job.
 _GOTOTOP