_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
width of M50 mantlet?
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:59 AM UTC
Hi all,

I have both the MP models M50 kit, and the Dragon M50 turret (left over from thier M51 kit, the old release).

there is a serious difference in the mantlet width of the two turrets. I have Tom Gannons awesome book on the IDF shermans, however from pictures alone I cant tell which is right.

Anybody have a width of what the real deal is? Tom, any imput? im guessing you will say the MP models one is the most accurate

this is one of those "its working its way up the ladder to be next in line" projects and may be started soon.

Thanks
Andy
tgannon
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 02:36 PM UTC
I can't put my hand on measurements at the moment. Sorry. However, I do believe that the MP turret and the new Formations turret are more accurate looking. The Dragon/DML turret is too flat and wide. I've built all three. In 1/35th, minute differences are not noticeable, even between parts from different boxes of the same kit. Styrene shrinks within variable tolerances.

Now, keep in mind that I confessed a long time ago, in other forums and at AMPS presentations, that the MP kit was done by photo interpretation alone. Back in 1987-88, we had only photos from Budge, and an article by my friend Vasko Barbic, to work with. I think it turned out fairly decent and it holds up today, except there is an error with the gunner sight, which should be the earlier flat style. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! :-) That's Latin for "my fault". It's easily fixed, plus the front and rear extensions graft very nicely onto any one of several kit turrets.

With that said, thank you for the kind words. If Bill and I could only do MP Models now, with all of the knowledge gained since then.

Tom
SabIngaMartin
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 06:36 PM UTC
Andy
both of the kits lack accuracy,
See accurate 1/35 Scale Drawing in the book Lioness and Lions of the Line on the M50/51 Sherman books.
Robert

juljon
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 74 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 11:22 PM UTC
Hi Robert,

I have an MP kit but have not made it. I shall in the near future.
Any more news about the Israeli tanks from AFV Club? Will there be an additional Shot Kal
Gimel? Will there be any Merkavas 2d, 3d, or 4, or any other IDF vehicles?

Regards

Julian

SabIngaMartin
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 02:47 AM UTC
Hi Julian,
Yes there will be Shot Gimel from AFV and other additional Shot type too.
More IDF armour will come later but I can not say yet which.
Robert
 _GOTOTOP