Vallejo Still Water usage?
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 06:38 AM UTC
Hi guys,

I am currently building a fantasy dio with a pond scene.
For the people who have previously used Vallejo Still Water, i'd like your help!

Firstly, i wish to have the water at about 4/5 mm in height.Could i get away with applying this depth in one time, or is it best to do it in two times?
Secondly, can the product be slightly tinted with a minute amount of acrylic paint?
Any other tips on the use of Vallejo Still Water would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Shay

bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,938 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 07:37 AM UTC
Yo Shay,

I think you should make the water in layers, than you can add some depth in you're water...
First layer with some colour, second layer with less colour and the tirth layer with almost no colour...get the point? Let it well dry between the layers.

Greetz Nico
endrju007
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Podkarpackie, Poland
KitMaker: 2,435 posts
Armorama: 1,256 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 01:47 AM UTC
Well, there is some danger in letting the layers dry in 100%. In case of using colour you risk visible difference in diesection. If you put one layer with a lot of colour added and let it dry in 100% next step should be another layer with the same colour but much thinner than previous one. Another (thin) layer with less colour should be placed while previous layer is still drying - this way you may get smooth change of colour - not digital one .

Andrzej
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 04:13 AM UTC
If you are using the Vallejo Still water, yes do use it in thin layers to build up your pond.

I made the mistake of using it to fill a shell crater with muddy water, probably about a cm deep (10mm), and as it dried, it formed a hole in the center of the water.

As far as mixing color with it. The still water is designed to be mixed with Vallejo Paints. I actually mixed in a little Mig Pigment and it worked fine as well. Although using the paint, a little would go a long way to color the water. Using pigments, the still water will dry cloudy, great for muddy water, but not so for clear!
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 05:06 AM UTC
Hi guys,
Nico, Andrzej, Scott..thank you very much for your valued advice.
I have made a "dam" of sorts and have poured the first layer of Vallejo Still Water down, coloured with a mix of various Vallejo acrylic tints .My plan is to do at least four pours until i have reached a depth that i'm happy with!
Updates to come later in the week,
Shay
AlexAmarandos
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 11:10 PM UTC
I have made the mistake to pour a full lake with still water and then it made a hole in the clay...and poured out in my desk everywhere....

So use it only in layers....

I have a question too. Is there any medium that i can mix with the still water in order to make it dry faster?

Thank you all!
endrju007
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Podkarpackie, Poland
KitMaker: 2,435 posts
Armorama: 1,256 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2009 - 01:32 AM UTC
I don't know about any stuff that could catalise the process, but I'm affraid that slow drying is one of conditions to get transparent structure in water based chemicals. Faster drying would probably involve heat (like with resins) and cause cloudy appearence (I think that oxygen and CO2 would make bubbles then).

Andrzej
 _GOTOTOP