_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya 6 pounder AT gun
mclen69
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 02:51 AM UTC
Hello all.
Just a few pics of my latest quicky!!
Built OOB and painted with Vallejo paints and weathered using Mig pigments.

Thanks for looking

Mark
mclen69
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 10:30 PM UTC
whiteeagle
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Slaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 299 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 10:48 PM UTC
Looking good
Nice scenery

Adam
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 10:50 PM UTC
hello,
im sorry i missed your post,

this happens a bit here, you get many views and minimal replies, but dont let this get you down,
a few praises and pointers;

nice build, cleanly executed:) the wash i can see on the barrel is good and works well
downside, the ?pigments? on the sheild are a bit overkill, and if there is mud on the rear arms why no mud on the tiyres,
just some points for you to mull over:)
have you any more kits in the works?

Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 11:39 PM UTC
Hi Mark,

I see you are obviouisly a fan of this British workhorse judging by your user picture!

The 6pdr is a nice weapon to model, unfortunately the Tamiya kit is an old dog that doesn't do it justice, I won't even get started on the kits flaws!

However, it looks like you've done a good job of painting this kit up, and I see you went for the seared mud camouflage on the shield, this is a nice touch but perhaps a bit heavy. Also as Jim says if you are going to add mud to the gun trails it should be on the tires too which are desert versions not ETO, (whoops I've started! ).

The figures look good, but the helmets shouldn't be the same kahki as the uniform, more like the green of the gun.
Also perhaps try mxing your paints to get slightly different uniform shades, as individual garments would all be slightly different colours depending on their age and batch in which they were made. Can't tell from the pics if you've applied any washes or drybrushing to them, but this often brings out the fabric of uniforms well.
Please don't take this as critisism, im just trying to give you some hepful pointers.

If you fancy giving the 6pdr another blast at any point, Zevezda/Italeri did a kit a while back that, while not perfect, is a LOT better than the Tamiya version. I recently built and updated one that is awaiting paint at the minute. I think its OOP now but you can still find them if you shop about. Resicast do some lovely resin versions too, and an ammo set which is nice.

Good work, keep it up, its always nice to see British armour being modelled!

James
mclen69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 12:42 AM UTC
Sorry to get a bit stroppy, its a bit deflating when you take the time to post some pics and no one replies.

My plan is to do a Dio based on my avatar pic, so once I get started on that all the little faults you guys have picked out, I can rectify. I tried a few times to get the mud effect right on the gun shield, I don't know why I added mud to the spades . I will change the colour of the helmets, so much for following the painting guide!!!!!

Jimmy.c:
As well as the 6 pounder dio, I've got another dio planned using Academy's Sherman Dozer, I'm just painting up the Verlinden figs to add to the Dozer. I'm also midway through reliving my childhood by building Revell's 1/76 Morris C8, Jeep and 17 pounder.

Thanks again for the replies and ther advice it does mean a lot. Sorry again to spit my dummy out.

Mark
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 01:07 AM UTC
nice good luck with those:)
a lot of peope think verlinden are bad and outdated, but you wont be heraing that from me, verlinden are great to start on, and finish on, the details are more prominent meaning they are easier overall to paint, rember to prime them
all the best

James
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 09:58 AM UTC
Mark -

You may want to "dig in" those trail spades a bit. Unless they are dug in, the crew is likely to have an unpleasant surprise when the lanyard is pulled.

Just a suggestion from an old cannon-cocker.

Semper Fi,
Dave
 _GOTOTOP