_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-80 initial painting
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 09:48 AM UTC
Decided to finish up this beast that has been sitting 1/2 completed on the shelves for more time than I'd care to admit. I used the majority of Eduards PE for it, only leaving off the extremely small stuff that I just can't seem to get a handle on...literaly! Also did a little scratch building here and there to help things out some. Not my best work by any means, but finished is better than perfect! This is the initial coat of Floquil Soviet Armor yellow, which will be followed by Warsaw Pact green and some black. More pics to follow. I know it has accuracy issues, but I enjoyed building it. Comments welcome.Thanks for looking "Q"

Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:12 PM UTC
Moving right along.. I got the green color laid in, and also the black. I didn't like how it looked with the black so I sprayed over it. Mixed up some dark brown thinner, and laid in some grime/shadows. I'm out of practice. Looks a little too dark in some areas to me, but I can go back and fix it later. Just thought I'd share the progress thus far. Don't have to work tonight so I might be able to get some more done on it tonight provided the Mrs. doesn't have something else for me to do around the house Any-hoo, here is where it is thus far. Thanks for looking. Comments welcome. "Q"

metalhead85
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 169 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:22 PM UTC
Looks great so far Matt. What kit is it? Can't wait to see more pics....

Rich
Yoni_Lev
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 01:46 PM UTC

Looks mighty tasty so far. The camo is a nice break from the almost omnipresent shades o' green.

-YL
elph
Visit this Community
Seoul, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 01:55 PM UTC
I've always wanted to build one of those modern Russian tanks, but they look so daunting to build. Looks like you did a great job so far.
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 02:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks great so far Matt. What kit is it?

Thanks for the kudos. It's Dragon's old kit.

Quoted Text

Looks mighty tasty so far. The camo is a nice break from the almost omnipresent shades o' green

I was almost tempted to leave it overall yellow/tan, but decided I could have a little fun with the camo pattern.

Quoted Text

I've always wanted to build one of those modern Russian tanks, but they look so daunting to build. Looks like you did a great job so far

I will admit there are a lot of pieces to this thing, but a little patience and some test fitting will result in a nice build. If you think these look daunting, try something Israeli Lots of goodies to add to those. Again, thanks for the kuds guys. "Q"
panzerkampfw
Visit this Community
Busan, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 171 posts
Armorama: 164 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 05:12 PM UTC
that paint job is really good ... shame there isnt more modern russian pieces to buy without add ons etc etc etc
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 06:08 PM UTC
Looking good so far, I like the colors, specially the sand color, I didn't know about that brand. Keep us posted. Thanks for sharing. Best regards

José
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 04:23 AM UTC
Continuing on with the T-80, I ran across another bottle of Floquil, Soviet Brown #2. I thought I would have a little more fun with the camo pattern and add this to the mix as well. Shot it right out of the bottle with no thinning. Went down very well, and was semi-transparent allowing the wethering already down to come thru slightly. I liked the way it came out. Got the road wheels and tracks installed, waiting for the flaps on the front to dry, as well as the rear fender so I can continue with weathering and some additional detail painting. Thanks for looking, comments welcome. "Q"

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 04:42 AM UTC
You've done a good job so far ! I guess this is not an "official" camo scheme but it looks fine, perhaps a bit flashy but I think that the weathering will tone it down.

Keep on posting
Olivier
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 07:50 AM UTC
Matt-- great creativity on your part. The paint job is superb.
Well done
DJ
Panzergrenadier44
Visit this Community
Iran / فارسى
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 84 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 12:05 PM UTC
lol when I read the first time I thought you said it was in 1/2 scale! Well nice build anyways.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 01:08 PM UTC
I hope my T-72 looks half as good as this does!
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 08:13 AM UTC
I like it a lot Matt! I have a Dragon T-80 with the ERA and seeing yours makes me want to dig mine out. As far as accuracy goes, I think the fact that it makes more than a reasonable representation is just fine.

I can identify with the finished and perfection thing. I get so hung-up on whether it's absolutely accurate or perfect, I never seem to make it the finish line. I've given up on that and have decided to build for the fun of building.
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 09:41 AM UTC
Steve, Thanks for the kudos.
Quoted Text

I can identify with the finished and perfection thing. I get so hung-up on whether it's absolutely accurate or perfect, I never seem to make it the finish line. I've given up on that and have decided to build for the fun of building.

I have a really good friend who suffers from the same affliction. He will be building something, and be neck deep in reference material, cecking this and checking that. He spends the majority of the time checking things rather than building. In the amount of time he's done this, it isn't uncommon for me to have finished several kits while he is still "checking references." And he is a great builder. The things he checks for I would have no clue on a model if they were accurate. To each his own I guess. I just want to keep building and having fun. I have enough research headaches with work.. Thanks again, "Q"
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 10:02 AM UTC
Almost 100%. Did some more weathering on the beastie last night adding some minor chipping here and there, added the fuel drums and lines. Will add the AAMG tonight and call her good Another one in the books. Thanks for looking. "Q"

seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 10:04 AM UTC
look pretty good for me
keep us update
Cheers
seb
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2008 - 09:59 AM UTC
I really like the subtleness of your chipping effect. Sometimes, I think that gets a little over done. Very realistic in MHO.
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 06:02 AM UTC
Steve,
Thanks for the kudos. I decided to keep it on the light side for weathering. I still need to add some dusting along the lower edge of the skirting, and roadwheels. That should just about do it for me. I agree with you on the overdone aspect of things. Less is more in my book. Thanks again, "Q"
 _GOTOTOP