M4A3E8(76)W HVSS
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 09:21 AM UTC
Hi All!

I've got great enjoyment from viewing all the excellent work that I've seen posted in this forum. A little background. I've been out of the hobby for the past nine and a half years. Work and what seems like endless old house upgrading (windows, plumbing...virtually everything) didn't permit much time for the hobby.

I just joined Armorama this past year and have got a ton of inspiration from what people have been willing to share. The pictures below are from the Sherman Campaign (my first campaign) and represent the first model that I've completed since putting the hobby aside. The model is the 1/72 Dragon Sherman.

Cheers,
Jan
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 09:46 AM UTC
Hi Jan,

Welcome back - you haven't lost the touch!

Very nice job there, and the weathering's great (very effective, but not overdone).

- Steve
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 12:22 PM UTC
Very nice work. The weathering is restrained as well, something that is rare these days with the fad of overdoing things.

Cheers

Mike
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 04:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jan,

Welcome back - you haven't lost the touch!

Very nice job there, and the weathering's great (very effective, but not overdone).

- Steve

Steve, to be totally honest, up until now I didn't have the touch. This was my first successful attempt at weathering a build. That's why the statement in my original post about the inspiration that this site has given me. :-)

Cheers,
Jan
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 04:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice work. The weathering is restrained as well, something that is rare these days with the fad of overdoing things.

Cheers

Mike

Thank you Mike for your comments. I basically guessed at what I should do and then tried to apply what I thought and learned. It's shocking how far the hobby has come in the years that I was out of it. PE...what is that and man what a shock! ;-)

Here's to you,
Jan
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 07:11 PM UTC
I can understand that. I re-emerged back into the hobby back in 1994 after a 6 year break and it was all new back then!

Cheers

Mike
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 08:45 PM UTC
Jan,

Welcome! And welcome back to the hobby. Excellent first build after a long absence, but you still have the touch. And as Micheal pointed out "The weathering is restrained" but very
realistic and to scale at that!

Thanks for sharing and hoping to see more of your stuff.
-Eddy
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2008 - 11:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jan,

Welcome! And welcome back to the hobby. Excellent first build after a long absence, but you still have the touch.

Thank you Eddie. There was a lot of learning and relearning involved. I'd be embarrassed to show what I in the past I thought was a good or great build.

Quoted Text

And as Micheal pointed out "The weathering is restrained" but very
realistic and to scale at that!

Thanks for sharing and hoping to see more of your stuff.
-Eddy

The weathering had a large amount of assistance from my wife. She's a gifted decorative artist and knows tricks that I could not have dreamt up. Her teaching has probably proved invaluable to the look of this build.

I am currently working on a 1/72 Stryker for that campaign and if time permits I'll try to do something for the half track and indirect fire campaigns. Slowly whittling away at the stash that built up over the years. :-)

Thanks again for the kind words,
Jan
 _GOTOTOP